Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging with a Webcam

JimD

I've got my scope and mount (see my signature for details) and now I'm getting imaging itch! Being a cheapskate, I want to go for low, low budget - my aim is to have fun.

I realise I'll need to get the motor drive kit for my EQ3-2, that's a given. What I'd like to know is, what are the options for using a web cam, and are cheap (£20 ish) webcams any use (I've read about a Philips one in another thread, but that costs nearly £100)?

Also on my mind: -

-What software is available to capture/process the images (preferable cheap or free)

-Do I have to take the lens off the webcam and use it in the focal plane or is there any mileage in taking pics through the eyepiece (thus allowing different magnifications)?

Just to give a flavour of the low standard that I need to beat, here's my first ever pic of Jupiter taken with my camcorder in still mode held up against the eyepiece of my scope: -

post-28514-0-06968400-1359897830_thumb.j

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes just plugs into the laptop.

No lens, you can buy an adapter or make one yourself for fitting it into the focuser/barlow.

Sharpcap is quite a popular free piece of software for capturing the avi's, then PIPP and registax or autostakkert for processing and stacking. All of them are free :)

Dan

Yes just plugs into the laptop.

No lens, you can buy an adapter or make one yourself for fitting it into the focuser/barlow.

Sharpcap is quite a popular free piece of software for capturing the avi's, then PIPP and registax or autostakkert for processing and stacking. All of them are free :)

Dan

Excellent! Thankyou. :laugh:

I've also just ordered the xbox live cam, and I plan on following this guide:

My current images of Jupiter look much like your own, taken with a smartphone camera, so I'm excited about what results I might get with the cheap webcam. :)

I've got my scope and mount (see my signature for details) and now I'm getting imaging itch! Being a cheapskate, I want to go for low, low budget - my aim is to have fun.

I realise I'll need to get the motor drive kit for my EQ3-2, that's a given. What I'd like to know is, what are the options for using a web cam, and are cheap (£20 ish) webcams any use (I've read about a Philips one in another thread, but that costs nearly £100)?

Also on my mind: -

-What software is available to capture/process the images (preferable cheap or free)

-Do I have to take the lens off the webcam and use it in the focal plane or is there any mileage in taking pics through the eyepiece (thus allowing different magnifications)?

Just to give a flavour of the low standard that I need to beat, here's my first ever pic of Jupiter taken with my camcorder in still mode held up against the eyepiece of my scope: -

I'm not posting this because I think it's a great image (it was cloudy), but it's my first webcam attempt which was of Jupiter on the same set-up as you. SW150p on an EQ3-2.

jupiter

The motor is key obviously and as already mentioned by more clued up people than myself, I used SharpCap and Registax.

As big is going to be tricky. Image size depends on pixel size and focal length. Decreasing the pixel size much starts to cause problems because you can't get enough light onto them to get them to work well, so you're left with modifying focal length.

By adding barlows and extensions to my 127 Mak I can get the focal length up to around five metres for imaging with the SPC900. That's a shade under seven times the focal length of the 150P. I don't think that's a reasonable expectation I'm afraid.

James

If you're sticking with the same camera, the only thing you can do to make the image bigger on the camera sensor is increase the focal length I'm afraid. In most cases adding barlows is the only way to do that. But to get the same size image as mine you'd need close to a 7x barlow. If you just want a bigger image than you currently get though, you need a more powerful barlow. Beyond a certain point however it becomes exceptionally difficult to work with.

Once you can get a sufficiently large image then it may be that using "drizzle" in processing can make the image even larger, but mine aren't big enough for that.

James

So, X Box cam arrived yesterday and I've been experimenting with the original lens. Unfortunately, clouds are getting in the way of any meaningfull tests.

Good pictures of the back garden, though. :sad:

(You'll get better than this with your scope!

This first attempt at imaging Jupiter from a DSLR and 114mm Newt'

Got a Logitech C270 (720p) yesterday (£17.50 from the world of PC's) If it clears up tonight i'll go for first light with it.

wicked comparisons james nice one.

ok after reading this i'm really confused is a mak/sct better for video imaging due to the focal length, cause i thought a cat wasnt the best for planetary or have i read this wrong.?

i've decided this is what i want to concentrate my efforts on and been toying with two 130 reflectors SW130pds or vixen 130.

now i'm wandering if i should be using my original choice vixen 110vmc i liked the idea of this scope due to it being an open mak, so it will cool down quickly and the double ep option with switchable mirror, would make lining up so easy one for web cam and one for viewing.. ahhhhhh so many opinions and choices.

Ah, you've gone for the posh, expensive webcam, RS! :grin:

JimD LOL....I wanted the 1080p HD version....the mrs thought otherwise....I had better not tell her about the Dob' I got my eye on!

Is this correct, Ras Skipper, does the cam have webcam software and Pan, tilt, and zoom controls!

Jim

Ben_Jim, It does seem to come with some software, as you say. I dont think that i'll be using it though. SharpCap should do the job. (I may well give it a test after i'm ready to go)

wicked comparisons james nice one.

ok after reading this i'm really confused is a mak/sct better for video imaging due to the focal length, cause i thought a cat wasnt the best for planetary or have i read this wrong.?

i've decided this is what i want to concentrate my efforts on and been toying with two 130 reflectors SW130pds or vixen 130.

now i'm wandering if i should be using my original choice vixen 110vmc i liked the idea of this scope due to it being an open mak, so it will cool down quickly and the double ep option with switchable mirror, would make lining up so easy one for web cam and one for viewing.. ahhhhhh so many opinions and choices.

The size of image you can get on a given camera sensor is entirely dependent on the focal length of the telescope. But also you want to collect lots of light from a very small area because there's not much time to grab the images, especially for a planet like Jupiter that rotates so fast. Maks and SCTs have their problems, but they can provide lots of focal length and aperture in very compact and relatively cheap packages. There's no reason you couldn't use, say, a 120mm f/10 ED or triplet refractor for planetary imaging, but I can't imagine that you'd see much change from three times what a C6 would cost.

I'm not convinced about the Vixen to be honest. There's not an awful lot of clear aperture there. In that kind of ball-park I think the 127 Mak is exceptionally hard to beat. It may take a little longer to cool down but it's not that bad and an inventive chap can help things along. It also looks like it could be tricky to add a motorised focuser to and they're an absolute godsend for planetary imaging.

James

Archived