SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Imaging with a Webcam

JimD

Thank you to the poster of the chip images, I will be checking them against my ebay purchased spc880 shortly. :)

Also, just to clarify my 'liking' certain posts - mainly for my own reassurance - I liked the comment regarding some folks getting carried away with ebay prices, but have to admit to loving my webcam and those images James posted are amazing, even if they may have been taken with a different chip.

If it turns out that some philips dont have the right chip then it needs to be made known, but in general the results can speak for themselves and anyone unhappy with their cams can always sell them on (they are popular right now!)

Thanks again for the helpful advice on identifying the sensor in the spc type webcams :icon_salut:

and nice pics btw James, :p

Regards

Aenima

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have been pondering on this a little more and recall that the Logitech QuickCam 3000 had one of the ICX098 sensors, as did early models of the QuickCam 4000. After the first production run (or something like that) the 4000 was switched over to the Sharp CCD which wasn't as sensitive (I believe). Perhaps confusion between the two cameras ended up with Pat being given the explanation he has.

I'm just about to have dinner so I don't have time to hunt down all the relevant details now and I may have got the models slightly wrong or something, but I think that's the gist of it.

James

Yes James that is correct, I have a 4000pro... It has the sharp CCD, only the early ones had the Sony CCD. (Only £4.70 though so not too sad)

Yes James that is correct, I have a 4000pro... It has the sharp CCD, only the early ones had the Sony CCD. (Only £4.70 though so not too sad)

Should be interesting to see how it performs, given that it's a CCD.

James

If anyone is interested, I bought a converted SPC 880 on this forum, through a departed member of SGL, a long time ago, who stumbled on what Morgans were selling and did the necessary research on it for the flash conversion to the SPC900CN, he now runs his own forum. As far as the story goes, at that time Morgans bought a terrific quantity of these cameras, at obviously a job lot price, because they were on the market retailing at less than £5, they were manufactured by Philips for a foreign market to be sold as a package deal with a TV, which by all accounts must have fallen through. Morgans began to realise what they had after a bit and up and up went the price, till eventually they ran out of stock some time ago, they tried to obtain replacements, but they were a bit like rocking horse manure. I think that would be about a year last January. There is such a big demand still for these web cams, with ever more people coming into the hobby, wanting to do imaging with a camera that has some History and pedigree, that they are prepared, what seems to some of us, to shell out a ridiculous amount of money, but no doubt not to them. I have no knowledge of any sensor change or manufacture of similar cameras sold by Morgans, as far as I am aware, they were all Philips products. HTH to clear up a bit of the History :)

John.

I have an old trust camera which i will be looking at modding at some time as i cant seem to get one with a sony sensor at a reasonable price at the moment. They are a little less sensitive than the sony, but iirc when i modded the other one i had there was a lot more amp glow. The cooling and amp off mod fixed it, and it did work quite well till i blew it up and went on to a philips. Anyhow several house moves later and the philips has dissapeared... and i find the spare trust one!!

Simon

I have an old trust camera which i will be looking at modding at some time as i cant seem to get one with a sony sensor at a reasonable price at the moment. They are a little less sensitive than the sony, but iirc when i modded the other one i had there was a lot more amp glow. The cooling and amp off mod fixed it, and it did work quite well till i blew it up and went on to a philips. Anyhow several house moves later and the philips has dissapeared... and i find the spare trust one!!

Simon

Ment to say that the trust has a sharp sensor by the way... Cant wait till i get an edit button!

Archived