Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Composite of M42 plus ngc1973,1975 and 1977

andyo

Hi here is my first attempt at Jerry Lodriguss method of composite masking.

I used the Sw ED80 with 0.85 reducer/flattener with the canon 450 modded dslr

Two sets of different exposures used

Long exposure 27x160 secs lights 29 darks and 47 flats(bias subtracted)

short exposure 25x30secs lights 25 darks and 47 flats(bias subtracted)

All comments and constructive critisism welcome.

m42january5thcompositepng_zpsb9661eb9.png

I like JL's processing. Don't be confined to two layers, try adding some longer exposures to bring out the envelope and running man more. Great start.

I've had a little play in PS with your image to try and enhance the envelope etc. the background sky has started to break-up but that's my processing....

post-14748-0-31468200-1359823761_thumb.p

I use this method as well and think you've done a good job. Because it's so bright the Trapezium short subs have high signal to noise and will stand lots of shapening to bring out the structure. Also very bright data tends to be burned out in colour so maybe a saturation boost before flattening would add something to the core? As Francis says, some long subs might pull out the dust structures as well. But a good job done.

Olly

great image have you tried HLGV to get rid if the green noise> heres your image with HLGV , there a lot more brown dust in your image to be pulled out. i used abit of noise reduction from noels actions and selective color method to bring out more dust, i hope you dont mind mind but i really like M42 and this is a great image!!!

post-6284-0-14976700-1359826982_thumb.pn

Thanks for all your comments and help.

great image have you tried HLGV to get rid if the green noise> heres your image with HLGV , there a lot more brown dust in your image to be pulled out. i used abit of noise reduction from noels actions and selective color method to bring out more dust, i hope you dont mind mind but i really like M42 and this is a great image!!!

I dont mind at all its great to see what others can do regarding processing.I did use HLGV it doesnt look too green on my monitor but I can see green noise on Francis version where the sky starts to break up.

Francis,did you use shadows/highlights in photoshop to bring out the outer dust structures, good job with the limited data.

I use this method as well and think you've done a good job. Because it's so bright the Trapezium short subs have high signal to noise and will stand lots of shapening to bring out the structure. Also very bright data tends to be burned out in colour so maybe a saturation boost before flattening would add something to the core? As Francis says, some long subs might pull out the dust structures as well. But a good job done.

Olly

Olly I am not surprised you use this method as well because in a previous post it was you who provided a link for me to JLs technique.I was impressed by his method did a bit of research and then bought his cd-rom (a guide to astrophotography with digital slr cameras)well worth the cash.So thanks Olly

Archived