Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finding Polar Scope use difficult

Right, I thought that my LED might have stopped working and have just now tested it with the new firmware loaded into synscan and all powered up.

Any chance of replacing this bulb? And if so, what do I need for that?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the HEQ5 Pro definitely has an illuminated polar scope, my standard one doesn't. :( however it's a part of the upgrade kit as well apparently, so I'll get that feature when I upgrade the mount in a while.

I like to polar align by going outside with the mount quite early if possible, when Polaris is still one of the few stars visible, that way you won't mistake it with another star. I quickly check the program PolarFinder to find out where to place Polaris on the circle and then fine tune later on with drift alignment.

I've made all the newbie mistakes as well, not extending the counterweight bar and not rotating the RA axis to the correct position, which gives you a clear view through the scope as Astro_Baby mentioned. I've sometimes had to illuminate the scope by shining through the polarscope from the other side with a flashlight, this works well, just make sure you don't let too much light through or you won't see a thing!

I can't even see Polaris, my blooming house blocks it out. Just been using my new NEQ6 manually for the last 2 weeks, going to have to wait until the leaves on my tree all fall off before I can polar align.

I can't even see Polaris, my blooming house blocks it out. Just been using my new NEQ6 manually for the last 2 weeks, going to have to wait until the leaves on my tree all fall off before I can polar align.

Unless you're imaging, approximate is good enough. And if you're imaging then align it approximately and drift align from there.

James

Thank you thank you thank you!

I hadn't noticed this thread before and it's just made sooo much click into place after suffering many of the same problems with a first quick trial run at aligning my mount! So thank you peeps for adding to this thread and making it pop up in the list again as it's really helped! just a quick question, what d'ya mean by drift align? it's probably obvious, but my I is sleepy and it's not making sense!

Drift alignment is aligning the mount by checking the error when a star is allowed to drift across a camera frame. You do it one way to get the alt adjustment correct and then another to get the az adjustment. There are lots of guides to different methods, but I'm really not sure which works best.

James

I used this mod to avoid being a contortionist :

As far as polar aligning when polaris is obstructed, is the new polar align feature on Synscan GOTOs good enough for astrophotography?

Well, you could do without the polar scope altogether !

Here is a little 5 minute video I've put together on how to use a webcam or video camera (the SDC435) to quickly get an accurate polar alignment - without doing your back in peering thru' a polar scope:

http://dai.ly/x12h5jo

The video is more or less self explanatory, but there is a bit more text

here:

www.astrobling.weebly.com/polar-alignment.html

Simon

Archived