Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

It's clear! It's clear!

Andymarrison

Lovely and clear here, however ruined by the strong cold wind and the amount of lights! House to the west with floodlights on, depot to the North, full moon to the East! :(

Same in Norfolk, that wind was so cutting!! Good views of Jupiter when wind wasnt blowing,

As anticipated, clouds showed up after an hour or so, but at least I managed a decent look at Jupiter before they arrived. Nice to dust of the scope after a good few weeks now. Dew strip for the EP shorted out, though - think the connection where the wire meets the strip must have become brittle and partially broken when I last used the scope at -5 centigrade! Just ordered a posh dew strip from Green Witch which apparently should survive down at the lower temperatures. Hope everyone else had a bit of clear sky.

The sky has been playing with me tonight.

Look outside - clear patches :) rush upstairs, grab coat, bolt Pronto onto mount, grab EP case leg it out the backdoor to wall to wall cloud and just spotting with rain :( grudgingly pack away again.

Eat chicken and chips.

Look outside - half the sky is clear :) get mount and scope, pick up EP case, grab coat on the way out out the door...solid orange overcast :( Leave scope set up in the kitchen and stare out the open door for 5min in the hope that it clears...starts to rain :(

Give it half an hour - clear sky :) grab everything and rush out side, let's look at M42...the full moon is washing it out :( let's look at the Pleiades..ahhh lovely! let's look at Jupiter..seeing is diabolical :( let's look at the moon..seeing really is dreadful and a full moon's boring :(

May as well take the hint and pack in for the night, nearly time for Brian Cox on TV anyway!

There were a few annoying clouds floating about here, but still managed to give my new scope a good outing. Jupiter, Pleiades, Orion nebula and even a faint smudge of Andromeda despite a lot of light pollution (finding that one made me understand why people buy go-to mounts!).

I had a gander at the moon as well, while I was on.

There were a few annoying clouds floating about here, but still managed to give my new scope a good outing. Jupiter, Pleiades, Orion nebula and even a faint smudge of Andromeda despite a lot of light pollution (finding that one made me understand why people buy go-to mounts!).

I had a gander at the moon as well, while I was on.

Don't worry, I just tried my new go-to mount and failed to find Andromeda. Must practice aligning.....!

It was clear here after sun-down but the strong winds put me off - not only would it upset the scope (and my extremities), it's likely to bring fast moving clouds across at any layer you care to mention. I could see the stars twinkling out of the window anyway, that's normally a good sign that seeing is terrible (if it's good seeing, they are steady from my window). Seemed a bit bright out there too, so assumed the moon was out too. Now it seems to be half-cloud, half clear, but I just can't be bothered!

I got my first night in, more like an hour really due to the clouds and rain, but none the less it was a pleasure using the ED80 on the AZ4. Not so good with the 200P-DS on the HEQ5, down to the weather though so now looking forward to a decent and long second night.:)

Archived