Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

will 2" celestron eyepiece set work with 12" dob?????

Hi, I don't think the specs on the ep's look very good, 3 elements not brilliant correction, and fields of view will be limited as only 56 & 50 degree. For me the object of going for 2" ep's is to get wider fields of view, I think you will do better to shop around for individual ep's. You will only ever need one or two 2" ep's for widefield studies, I see no advantage in having three of them. The colour filters are not useful to many people. Can't say how they will perform in an f/4.9 but I am dubious to say the least, you will need better quality in a fast scope. I also think they are over-priced for 3-element ep's.

Blimey, I didn't even know these existed and then I saw the price....

I absolutely agree with Rob's comments. As you're in the USA you could pick up an Explore Scientific 68 deg 34mm AND 20mm and still have change left over, from the likes of OPT. These will give a wider and better corrected view in a fast Dob and pretty much cover everything you need in terms of wider field views. That's just an example. There are similarly suitable examples from the Celestron Ultima LX, to the Skywatcher Aeros, etc.

Russell

It is not something I would do myself, I have yet to see a kit that is good. I n my opinion you would be better spending your money on two better quality eyepieces. F 4.9 is starting to speed up and cheap eyepieces will not deliver the goods at this speed. As Robin pointed out three elements will not mean good correction and they as he also said have a narrow FOV. I would bet that this scope will not be yours for long before you are wondering what 2 inch eyepieces deliver, I know I was.

I would go for something with at least 60 degree FOV, even better 68 degrees. Check out the Secondhand market many times you can get things around half price.

Alan.

Archived