Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another new toy

bomberbaz

I have sold my 12" dob after pressure from swmbo and also got rid of the Astro 130EQ and bought this little beauty. I think the dob was a bad idea in the first place because I should have consulted with the Mrs before buying, Silly Baz :embarassed:

She wasn't happy wth it being so obtrusive (the dob), whic is ashame because it was/is a great piece of kit. I thought long and hard about a replacement and after visit to the local obs during the Stargazing live programmes, decided that an SCT fitted the bill ahead of a skywatcher flexitube-GOTO, although it was close run thing

Anyway, I did do thing right this time and she is happy for me to have this new toy of mine. I may have been a little erm (cough cough) economical on the true cost of this, however it was still a bargain as new at under £1k. So here is my as new Nexstar 8SE, and I am happy as a pig in it

post-26735-0-58101800-1358636557_thumb.j

It does everything I need/want at the cost of aperture. It is portable, has great focal length, tracks objects, has GOTO for the massive light polluted garden of mine (I just wasn't having any real results finding things in the garden), but I can still do some star finding using the manual settings of the scope for when I get out into the dark areas, which I think I can do more of withte SCT. Oh and it keeps the Mrs happy also (nearly forgot the most important bit) :grin:

Another good thing is I already have a lot of the extras I would want for the scope, so no massive outlay over and above the initial cost. Although I did buy a new diagonal because the stock one isn't up to much. And a very large sports type bag is enroute that will fit all the supplied boxes with the scope in it, thats what I call portable.

Cant wait for a star party to do some serious DSO hunting.

Baz

Nice one Baz! The 8SE is a great portable scope, hopefully you've found somewhere to stash it and keep SWMBO happy :cool:

You'll also need a dew shield (essential!), heater band (likely) and controller (likely) to keep you going in this delightful damp climate of ours :D Also a Telrad sits really nicely on top of the ota :cool:

Did you get a 2" diagonal or a 1.25"?

Nice one Baz! The 8SE is a great portable scope, hopefully you've found somewhere to stash it and keep SWMBO happy :cool:

You'll also need a dew shield (essential!), heater band (likely) and controller (likely) to keep you going in this delightful damp climate of ours :D Also a Telrad sits really nicely on top of the ota :cool:

Did you get a 2" diagonal or a 1.25"?

I have all you just queried about and its a 2 inch william optics dielectric (plus 1.25 adaptor o/c), all very nice and can't wait for a good night to try it out on.

:cool:

James, after I have sold all my bits n bobs, its cost me vry little and I have my ideal setup. (I hope)

lol, Baz

Nice one Baz, excellent compromise and although the loss of aperture will hurt this has to be a whole lot easier to move, quicker to cool and will surely give you more observing time!

Though I might have been tempted to keep the Dob in a friends shed, or develop and interest in nocturnal allotment - but then again in the long run you always end up getting caught!

Hope you get a good price for the Dob and the AM130.

Jake

I was fortunate enough to go and see the new outfit , and I can say as a newbie, very impressive, baz only just set it up complete prior to me going round, just unfortunate there was no visibility in the skies for a tryout. I am sure you will get all the fun and excitement out of it baz, lets see what you do with it.

John.

Really simple sum for keeping loved ones up to date with how much you spend on things

Telescopes: True cost - (Focal length + aperture)

Cameras: True cost - 30%

Accessories: True cost - 50% (drastically reduce these. Common folk don't understand how it costs £40 for a small metallic adaptor)

Mounts: (Just don't tell them. No one will ever understand how a tripod costs £1000)

Really simple sum for keeping loved ones up to date with how much you spend on things

Cameras: True cost - 30%

Accessories: True cost - 50% (drastically reduce these. Common folk don't understand how it costs £40 for a small metallic adaptor)

Mounts: (Just don't tell them. No one will ever understand how a tripod costs £1000)

Taking notes, Thanks :grin:

hehe, If i had use this equation, the chap would have given me nearly two grand to take it off his hands, lol

Archived