telrad viewfinders

Since I have gotten a telrad I cannot remember the last time I looked through the stock finder scope!

I am sure it is different for everyone but it has enabled me as a beginner to find many deep sky objects that I frustratingly could not find with the 9 x 50.

I just print off a chart from cdc (which puts the telrad's FOV on top) and use that outside.

I suppose unlike other red dot finders you can actually see what you are pointing at thanks to the inner circle rather than a dot.

Dan

Whilst I found the ring nebula and andromeda and a couple of other obvious deep sky objects I completely failed to find the globular clusters around hercules with the stock finder. First night out with a telrad I got both of them first time!

Someone more skilled than me could find everything in the catalogues without one I'm sure, but as a beginner it really did make life easier. I haven't tried any other red dot finders so can't comment on how good they really are.

Stellarium also has a plugin which puts the telrad fov on top of whatever you are looking at. I can't recommend a telrad enough! ( pretty obviously :p)

Dan

I have used a Telrad for some time on my Newtonians, but I could not see how it would fit on the new 120mm refractor. Kindly, Father Christmas brought me a little red dot finder which I find just as useful, in some ways easier to use and is better made. I use no finder at all with the little 70mm, with which the 24mm ES68 gives nearly 4 degrees.

A Telrad sat next to a magnifying finder scope and the worlds at your (freezing) fingertips!

Keep a couple of fingers warm as you'll need them to melt the frost on your Telrad window so you can see through it a bit :grin:

I have one and never found it any help in heavily light polluted skies. i have whole areas where there are no visible stars with the naked eye so its impossible to use. i can't star hop without magnification, either that or a huge telrad to bridge the expanse!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

as above , you need to try one, I can hit 80-90% of previous finds first time. Its like you have a picture in your head for each and the next time you remember it. Hope that makes sence. I also make my own sights as I like a larger screen than on the telrad.

great things telrads , especially with a normal finder alongside when searching new finds.

I would imagine the Telrad alongside a RACI finder would be the ideal set up, I find it quite difficult to turn things round in my head :shocked: I'm sure the Telrad is going to be brilliant for starhopping.

I find dew is a problem, even with a dew shield. I find a hair drier set on cool (I'm fortunate in having a mains supply nearby) does the job.

Everyone has to find the best way of working. Often it depends on both the kit and the location, especially the level of light pollution. I didn't find a red dot finder much help and ended up with a Telrad and a 9 x 50 finderscope. Used together they worked very well for finding objects.

As mentioned - Telrads are great for star hopping a manual scope - you tend to find that most large dob owners predominantly star hop and they nearly all have a Telrad on them. Some like to have a finder (straight through or raf/raci) as well. Telrads do need to be used from a dark site though - they don't magnify so can be rendered useless in light polluted areas. But it's all down to personal preference in the end. :)

Archived