Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Could someone explain FLAT Images/Frames ?

Hey, I'm in the process of reading 'making every photon count' and have come across a section that I don't entirely understand. It talks about "FLAT" frames but I don't understand there need or really what they are.. Id like to understand what they are before continuing the book, thanks for any explanation :)

A flat field is an image taken of an evenly illuminated object like the dusk sky, or a special illuminated white card hanging on the wall of the observatory. These images are taken through the telescope they remove vignetting and dust from images.the same rules apply to flats and darks the camera must be in the same orientation for the calibration frames as it is for the subs.

Am I missing something here? But looking at Andrew Welsh's tutorial, he does flats before the lights. I thought you had to take them afterwards as the optical train has to be exactly as it was for the photos. Or have I been misinformed?!

Sorry to hijack. I hope the answers will be helpful to you too KingAndromeda!

Am I missing something here? But looking at Andrew Welsh's tutorial, he does flats before the lights. I thought you had to take them afterwards as the optical train has to be exactly as it was for the photos. Or have I been misinformed?!

Sorry to hijack. I hope the answers will be helpful to you too KingAndromeda!

Provided you know that you are in focus and won't be rotating anything then you can do them before. I tend to do mine 'before and after.' That is, I do them at the end of the first night on a particular target and as I continue to shoot on subsequent nights I use the same flats. I don't knock down the imaging train, though. I leave it in the observatory.

Olly

Archived