Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

cold nights - last night

lynnm

given the clear skys last night, i decided to brave the cold and set up viewing the orion Nebula and Jupiter as it was in fine form.. but it was freezing literally.. ice on the whole scope after a while, athlough wrapped up warm the finger and feet started to freeze.. and then so did the lenses..

what do people do about stopping the lenses freezing up??

cheers

Mike

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think a hair dryer might be the option, i have a dew sheild on the dob, and the mirror is fine .. it's just the lenses picking up mosture as i'm looking through them...

i wonder if a travel 12v hairdryer might be an option?

Not had that problem yet... But I keep an ep in my pocket and swap when it gets dewey ... The ep, not my pocket :D

You might experience now with the SCT as the corrector lens frosts up quite quick,

Both my SCT and Refractor suffer but cant remember having it with any of my reflectors

I ended up getting iced out as well last night, the scope was covered when I'd finished.

I think some of the problems with the ep is breath getting on there and freezing, I just took the ep out and replaced it with another.

Orion looked great, and I managed to split Rigel, which was even better! Got Bodes Nebula had a good look at Betelguese as well, just in case :)

Am I right yours hasn't got an enclosed tube, maybe you could get a shroud for it. I was out for about 3 hours last night and didn't have any trouble with ice etc and my tubes enclosed, so I wonder if that's the difference. Don't know how effective they'd be though.

had a good night, saw quite a few things, various Messieurs, m1, & Eskimo nebula. Has anyone seen m78, every time I look I can never see anything? Thought it was meant to be fairly obvious but I never see it.

looking around at various options, i've come across the idea of using heated gloves.. a pair of these on the belt could hold the ep's quite well ( maybe not the 2") i think, and also be used at the same time... hmmmm seems like maplin supply these at only £8 ish..

HI.. the issue i have is the ep's.. the mirror is fine as i have the dew shield, and the scope looks pretty similair to the image posted by zakkhogan.. LOL... just wou;d like to try and get some more viewing time through the EP's without freezing my eyelids :-)

cheers mike

HI.. the issue i have is the ep's.. the mirror is fine as i have the dew shield, and the scope looks pretty similair to the image posted by zakkhogan.. LOL... just wou;d like to try and get some more viewing time through the EP's without freezing my eyelids :-)

cheers mike

is the problem the eyepiece you are using at the time or the others, cos if you dont have one already you could get yourself a little foam lined case to keep them insinuated.

#When im just doing visual work i constantly change magnification, probally every 10/15 mins to get a nice good look at the object in different aspects..

somthign like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Telescope-Portable-Accessory-Travel-Eyepiece-Soft-Case-Liquidation-Sale-/350684783119?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a671220f

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-telescope-eyepiece-case-Foam-lined-For-1-25-Key-Handle-Silver-/150977359825?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2326f3afd1

Archived