Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Caring for equipment when brought in from the cold

Hi all,

First post here, I've bought an explorer-130p az-goto.

I've just finished trialling the scope and I love how easy it is to target objects.

Setting up took a little working out and research, including some really valuable tips on this forum.

Now that I'm done for the evening, how do I care for the scope and lenses when finishing a nights viewing?

There's quite a temperature change between outside and inside, ( -1°c to 21°c ) and my lenses have got condensation on them, is this ok?

I've left the scope in my porch for the time being where the temperature difference isn't as great.

I'm aware that you need to allow some time for a telescope to acclimatise to the conditions outside before observation.

But I can't find any details regarding care for equipment bringing it in form the cold.

Are there any other general care tips I should be aware of?

Thanks

Matt

As you've guessed, as soon as you bring the scope into a warm house condensation will appear on the optics.

Basically, avoid the temptation to wipe any of the glass or mirrors and leave them uncapped and they will clear as they reach ambient temperature.

I usually just leave mine till morning and they're always ok.

I always just bring my equipment in and leave it to naturally acclimatise,never touch the lenses or any of the optical surfaces but usually wipe the tube of the scope / scopes I have been using with soft clean cloth. One thing I am a bit over the top about is not taking my cases that I store my equipment in outside or leaving them open to the moisture or dust as I think this is asking for trouble as storing optical equipment in a damp foam case in a warm room closed of from the fresh air or similar is only going to end up with fungus growing inside,that might never happen but with the cost of some of my equipment I have I ain't gonna take the chance, plus does look good with the scope out on display on the coffee table for a few hours :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it also ok to leave a scope out in a shed (secure) as the mrs is getting the hump with the scope living in the bedroom

Mine lives in an unheated out house, but if it does get particularly badly dewed up, I do bring it indoors to dry. Once dry, it goes back in the out house.

Moisture doesn't hurt the optics, but I'd avoid prolonged soakings due to the number of places it can eventually get into and the fungal problems it will cause in the long run.

Russell

Archived