Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help which Dob is best...?

• 2 months later...

Astronolee..... Did you make a choice on which scope to buy?, I have been looking at the 12" scope, One think i would like to mention about the 16" lightbridge is, wouldn't you need small steps to view through the eye piece?, let me know how you got on :smiley:

Im thinking about going from 10" to either a 12" or 14" flex tube. I like the idea of increasing the aperture but both steps will lose TFOV. That said though i have an ST120 which shows tons of sky so if I wanted TFOV I can always get that out instead.

I'd realy want to see both of these in the flesh to decide which is best for me. the 10" is easy to carry, I suspect the 14" might be more than I can carry in and out of a shed without pulling my back trying not to trip over things.

The 12" might end up being the one I go for but is it worth going 10" to 12"?

It's seemingly impossible to find these in the flesh, wish there were more showrooms around

Edited by Stargazing00

I've recently moved from a 10" F/4.8 to a 12" F/5.3. Both Orion Optics although the 12" has slightly better quality optics in it. I've noticed quite a difference on a range of objects but especially DSO's. Orion Optics optical tubes on dob mounts (Shane made mine too :smiley: ) are pretty compact and portable even in larger sizes. I can lift my 12" in one piece and move it around the garden. In two pieces it's really quite light for it's aperture.

I've seen the 14" Skywatcher and thats pretty much a 2 person carry I reckon, to be sure of not damaging it.

You can put wheely bars on these things though which make it easier to move even 16" dobs around.

• Like 1

Thanks John. I'm no superman, carrying the 10" and base together usually gives me a sore back for a few days as I used to carry it at an odd angle to get it through doorways and such, the weight of the two combined is OK it was more the awkward position I held it all in that goes for the back.

I dont exercise enough (at all), so I will carry all scopes in two pieces. I suspect the 12" is around the limit of my comfortable limit for carrying. As this is likely to be my last scope upgrade I may save up for a nice high end OOUK one with a good mirror coating.

Do you think the optics make a lot of difference in the OOUK compared to say the equivilant 12" skywatcher? OOUK sure do want alot for those extras, but i'd go there if it was my upper limit and therefore final purchase.

I did 6" to 10" and it was a nice jump. 10" to 12" would provide a 51% improvement in light grasp, a slower scope (F4.7 to F4.9) so better performance from my EPs, and only a marginal loss in true field of view.

Those 3 factors combined make it appealing still.

I would also have the option to add GOTO at this upgrade point. I really dont need it as I get as much enjoyment out of the hunt as I do the view, however I think i'd like it for extending viewing on planets and moon only. I dont need to be shown where things are but I could do without the nudging once in a while.

Is it worth that much more?

Probably not. The golden rule with Orion Optics scopes is to buy them used - they represent superb value for money then :smiley:

I reckon the average Skywatcher is probably around 1/6th wave PV. Some better, some worse.

sounds like you need tracking not goto. I use an equatorial platform for my 6" f11 OOUK dob. this is so tall and spindly that every tie you move it, there's a settle down period not present with my bigger dobs so I made an EQP and it's superb. you can buy them for about £450 or less if you make one or drop on a used one. maybe a wanted ad would help.

here's my 6"

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=34815

my 16" is so smooth that tracking manually at 400x is not an issue; more weight = more stability.

• Like 1

I'd maybe consider an eq platform but I prefer a no-tech approach on the whole. I've found tracking manually at high powers no bother with the "Moonshane" mount, even with orthos. I actually enjoy nudging the scope gently to track an object - for some strange reason it makes me feel a connection with what I'm viewing :smiley:

• Like 1

I'd maybe consider an eq platform but I prefer a no-tech approach on the whole. I've found tracking manually at high powers no bother with the "Moonshane" mount, even with orthos. I actually enjoy nudging the scope gently to track an object - for some strange reason it makes me feel a connection with what I'm viewing :smiley:

I know exactly what you mean, and that is what I dont want to lose. I really dont want a computer to show me things, at all. I feel in love with the idea that the scope and all its parts just work. i can put it anywhere and its only limit is me and what I choose to look for.

I've never used a tracking mount before and to be honest the nudging isnt that much of a pain, i think it's more the stickion in the operation of the scope not that actual nudging. Ive more or less eradicated that in RA axis with a lazy susan which is very nice but Im still trying to find the right solution to the altitude. I currenty have covered the faces on the scope shoulders which touch the uprights (not the nylon pins) with teflon tape as that appeared to be where the sticktion was being caused. This has however made the scope rather loose and prone to nose diving even with the tension handles cranked up far higher than I would like. It doesnt bear 2" EPs well at the moment. I am exploring counterbalancing options at the moment or going back to the drawing board on the teflon tape idea.

TS do an EQ platform for about £250 which will carry 50kg (easily a 12") I've only had a couple of chances to use mine but it makes all the difference when following a target.

that's a bargain. if I'd not made one, I'd buy one of these I reckon.

• 1 month later...

so leaving mount and practicality aside. the skywatcher is half the price of orion dobs. but are they half the optics?

for the price of a 14" orion dob, i can get a 16" skyliner with a goto.

• 7 years later...

Hi Nebula

I know this post is very old, just wondered what you went for in the end, as I am in the same boat now as you were then! I'm looking to get into astrophotography (realise an EM is best), and was looking at the 12i and 12g (later with tracking which I would prefer|) v a Celestron 8SE

If anyone else has thoughts appreciated too as have seen such varying reports!