Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

January 12, 2013: First light of ASI130MM on sun in H-alpha

michael.h.f.wilkinson

A lot more detail is visible in your last picture, so well worth the effort of reprocessing. I used to spend ages fiddling around trying to find out what works and then once I got it right I just use pretty much the same settings each time.

A lot more detail is visible in your last picture, so well worth the effort of reprocessing. I used to spend ages fiddling around trying to find out what works and then once I got it right I just use pretty much the same settings each time.

Thanks!

It does help that I teach image processing at the university ;)

Looking good Michael, think you will have to start giving us a few processing lessons at this rate!

The last images are really good, I really like the colouring and you have teased out some great detail too.

Congrats :smiley:

Those last images do look good. Is the banding at the top and bottom an artefact of the camera?

James

You are right about the background, that is an artefact. I have made an effort to sort that out, by selecting a section of the image to the right of the sun, which shows only background, stretching that to 1280x1024, and subtracting it from the original. That removes most of it. All this I did in grey scale, and then remapped to the same colour profile as before. I also added just a bit more sharpening in gimp. Results are better, I think.

post-5655-0-79597300-1358238276_thumb.pn

post-5655-0-64204600-1358238306_thumb.pn

Archived