Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Tele Vue achromat lens!

Well spotted and what a nice idea for a vintage style planetary/double star instrument with charm and, potentially, demon performance. Where's Neil English when you need him? :grin:

I have no excuse whatever for buying such a scope but that doesn't seem to be stopping my mouth from watering. WIth a Feathertouch and a brass tube, hmmmmm.....

Olly

TeleVue! Was wondering who the new lens supplier was going to be. As our American cousins would say, that's come completely out of left field. Excellent news for Skylight, having a company like them involved.

It doesn't actually say the lens is made by TeleVue

"(The Skylight AR101/15) will be designed & supplied by TeleVue of New York, USA.

Each objective will be individually inspected by TeleVue in New York. Once approved, they will be shipped to me in London where I fabricate and assemble the OTA’s."

It states "Each objective will be individually inspected by TeleVue in New York" this makes me think they will be made somewhere far away but I could be wrong.

Looks really interesting. I bought an f13 100mm from Richard last year (with a Carton lens - most excellent indeed), otherwise I'd be seriously tempted - I would really struggle to justify gettng this with Mrs Marki (detailed negotiations are in progress, believe me :grin:). I'd be interested to see a side by side comparision though - I wonder whether I'd see much improvement over what I already get with the f13. Anyone got any thoguhts on this? I've no idea if Televue ever did any achromats in the past (well, longish focus ones anyway) to compare with.

My understanding is that the lens for AR101/f15 will be designed, supplied checked and approved by TeleVue - not sure what the ultimate source is though. As Michael says above, the qa should be spot on. I understand Richard will be offering a range of options for the higher end version, and there may be a different finish available.

Good point Olly. I guess there is some association of exotic glass types/arrangements with the word as opposed to the more functional association implied by its simple translation to "wihout colour".

It seems to me that a very well made achromat at F15 has just as much right as a fast apo doublet to be called an apochromat, no? We seem to be entering strange terminological territory these days.

Olly

HERESY!! ;)

Classically, many classical crown/flint achromatic lenses were F/15 or slower (especially as they got bigger), to suppress chromatic errors. To call a newer one without ED glass apochromatic would confuse people (more than they already are :D)

Looks really interesting. I bought an f13 100mm from Richard last year (with a Carton lens - most excellent indeed), otherwise I'd be seriously tempted - I would really struggle to justify gettng this with Mrs Marki (detailed negotiations are in progress, believe me :grin:). I'd be interested to see a side by side comparision though - I wonder whether I'd see much improvement over what I already get with the f13. Anyone got any thoguhts on this? I've no idea if Televue ever did any achromats in the past (well, longish focus ones anyway) to compare with.

My understanding is that the lens for AR101/f15 will be designed, supplied checked and approved by TeleVue - not sure what the ultimate source is though. As Michael says above, the qa should be spot on. I understand Richard will be offering a range of options for the higher end version, and there may be a different finish available.

Marki, dont even think about it, stick with the 100mm f13, 100 f15`s are very demanding on a mount ( :embarrassed: ) as i well know, stick with what you have

It seems to me that a very well made achromat at F15 has just as much right as a fast apo doublet to be called an apochromat, no? ......

As have newtonians, SCT's, mak-cassegrains etc, etc I guess :smiley:

Apochromatism is a characteristic surely ?

Crown and flint, ED doublet, triplet, petzval are just different refracting designs to me. Some have certain characteristics and some have others. Pick the one that you like to use :smiley:

Archived