Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gina's Observatory Build - Abbreviated - Finishing Touches and Improvements

Gina

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you you do your pier adapter thread? I was waiting for that one.

You know - I don't think I did :( I'll have to see what I can find and do that. I'm sure I posted about it somewhere - a couple of years ago.

• 7 months later...

Anongst a great deal of other things, item 1. on the original ToDo list is on again.  To recap - the roof rolls on 100mm rubber tyred wheels on timber rails with sideways rollers made from skateboard bearings.  The roof rolls on and off easily enough but the sdideways guiding is not accurate enough for the roof pegs to line up with the holes without assistance from me to guide the roof sideways as I push it home.  So I'm going to use and idea that a couple of other observatories here use.

The idea is to replace the rubber tyred wheels with metal ones running on an inverted angle track fastened to the timber rails.  The wheels will have a V groove to run on the angle.  This provides both support and lateral guiding in one go and the inverted angle won't hold water/ice/snow/leaves/muck/etc.

I now have two 5m lengths of 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/8" wall aluminium angle for the rails which will provide a continuous run without joins.  The wheels I plan to turn from 3" aluminium round stock and use ball bearings on some of the original 12mm SS bolts.  I plan to use Rubber Sealed Deep Groove Ball Bearing 12x37x12mm and bore out the aluminium wheels to 37mm to match the OD of the bearings.

I've now got the 3" aluminium round stock and have ordered the bearings.  Also have the ali angle as I said.  Once I've finished sorting the lathe out I shall be turning the wheels.

The idea is to replace the rubber tyred wheels with metal ones running on an inverted angle track fastened to the timber rails.  The wheels will have a V groove to run on the angle.  This provides both support and lateral guiding in one go and the inverted angle won't hold water/ice/snow/leaves/muck/etc.

I now have two 5m lengths of 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/8" wall aluminium angle for the rails which will provide a continuous run without joins.  The wheels I plan to turn from 3" aluminium round stock and use ball bearings on some of the original 12mm SS bolts.  I plan to use Rubber Sealed Deep Groove Ball Bearing 12x37x12mm and bore out the aluminium wheels to 37mm to match the OD of the bearings.

You won't regret it! What do you think the weight of your roof is?

Good work and good luck

/Thommy

That's light. I think my roof has a total weight of around 300-350 kg - yet movable with the tip of a finger :grin:  

/Thommy

I could be wrong but three men easily replaced it after it had gone for a ride in the sky, even though it was a rether awkward shape and being put on a rather awkward shape quite high up.  Anyway, I've bought a cheap digital luggage balance that goes up to 50KG so I can weigh the sides or corners.  When we get some fine weather I'll weigh it.

Here are some sketches of the new wheels for the roof.  The step on the inside is to seat the ball bearing onto, to ensure the wheel is square on the bearing.

post-13131-0-59883100-1387018391_thumb.p

post-13131-0-11051800-1387018389_thumb.p

The wheel profile in close-up

post-13131-0-84005000-1387018392_thumb.p

I like this idea Gina. I've just done my roof opening but opted for nylon wheels running in aluminium channel. If I was starting it again I would probably use your method cause as you intimate once the track is fixed, the roof is self guiding with very little if any lateral movement. I did have to add aluminium channel on the inside to keep mine running true, your method is far easier IMO.

Regards

John

Making reasonable progress in turning the first wheel on my new lathe and at the same time learning how to use it :D  This is the V groove very nearly finished and I've started on the boring out for the ball bearing.

post-13131-0-35698500-1387216582_thumb.j  post-13131-0-73781200-1387216572_thumb.j

Well don't rush it, bits of metal can fly off the lathe quicker than a bullet, stay safe.......

No, I'm not rushing it - just plodding along doing bits as and when I get the time :)  And yes, I know bits can fly off so I stand to one side as well as having eye protection.  I'm also planning another guard.

Wheel mostly bored out now. 

post-13131-0-82721800-1387291355_thumb.j

The commercial gate wheels are bored out beyond the edge of the bearing on the outside.  This would help force the bearing into its place by allowing a disc a bit bigger than the bearing to be used to push it in.  I'll do the same. 

Here are a couple of screenshots of my latest SketchUp model

post-13131-0-68704100-1387291404_thumb.p  post-13131-0-93552100-1387291401_thumb.p

Archived