NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Not an observatory but my Tin Shed it works for me.

abberation

With the layout of my garden, and having fallen from a tree a couple of years ago I sometimes struggle getting my 12" dob back and forth. I have purchased a 6 x 4 tin shed. Having read they are notorious for condensation I decided to trying to minmise it as follows:-

I have built the shed on a suspended decking floor and have a half inch rubber sheet on the top of the decking.

The walls are lined with a foil and foam sheeting used for cavity insulation the width is about 5mm.

The roof has been insulated with a 50mm Celotex boarding.

There are 2 high level vents.

So far through out the last few months there has been no sign of condensation.

Mains power with the neccessary trips and a red light via a dimmer have been installed.

There are 4 small fans to circulate the air but so far haven't needed to use them.

A board has been fitted with 4 castor type wheels fitted so all I have to do is place the dob on this then I am able to push it back and forth within the shed.

The shed houses my 12 volt battery and charger

It may not be every ones cup of tea, but it works well for me.

Would love to see some pictures. I'm considering...let me rephrase that...my wife is considering :rolleyes: something similar for my gear and I was wondering about how to deal with condensation.

I have no condensation problems as such but a very heavy dew last night got everything wet except around the dew heaters with the scope room roof open, but only in the scope room - I kept the dividing door closed most of the time so the warm room stayed dry.

I've been using a 6x6 Jeter Gemini plastic apex shed for past few months and I'm in middle of converting it to an open top version. So far despite all the heavy rain and high winds I haven't had any condensation either. Also no leaks whatsoever so would definitely recommend the plastic option providing its solidly made. I'll try to get some picks on here too for those interested.

I've been using a 6x6 keter Gemini plastic apex shed for past few months and I'm in middle of converting it to an open top version. So far despite all the heavy rain and high winds I haven't had any condensation either. Also no leaks whatsoever so would definitely recommend the plastic option providing its solidly made. I'll try to get some picks on here too for those interested.

I have no probs with condensation what's so ever people go well over the top ,I keep 6 grands worth a kit in the shed and its never had a prob to date seems a bit over the top

pat

i'm pleased you don't have to worry about the condensation, but "over the top" is maybe a bit strong. If the roof isn't vented or there is a lot of moisture in the air it can be a real problem for people. I've had condensation dripping like a shower. Especially if theres some mains electric in the mix, its well worth taking action to reduce the possibility.

I have no condensation problems as such but a very heavy dew last night got everything wet except around the dew heaters with the scope room roof open, but only in the scope room - I kept the dividing door closed most of the time so the warm room stayed dry.

I don't have an obs - so his question may seem a little strange for those who do .... but just out of interest ... how warm do people tend to keep their warm rooms? Do you have heaters in there to keep it at a comfortable temp, or is just slightly warmer than outside temp due to it being a closed env with no draughts, roof, doors closed etc. ?

I have no probs with condensation what's so ever people go well over the top ,I keep 6 grands worth a kit in the shed and its never had a prob to date seems a bit over the top

pat

It's a TIN shed, hence the need for insulation.

A bog standard wooden shed, like mine, isn't likely to suffer from condensation.

I'd like to see the pictures too.

Cheers

Archived