Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Newtonian Set Up Sounds Better, and Better Value For Money??

Need people's advice on which is the best set up between these two:

No.1

Second hand - although barely used - Helios 6 inch reflector, on an EQ5 mount, including miscellaneous eyepieces, no polar scope, no motor drives. £200, and dear sweet mother in Sussex would be going to pick it up for me (I can't drive yet).

No. 2

New Zenith 8 inch reflector, on a EQ4 mount, includes 2 eyepieces, 2 filters, dual motors, Polfinder alignment scope. £210 (£185 + £25 p&p)

I am looking to grab a bargain whilst it exists, as a move up from my SkyScout 90mm. Was originally looking at a EQ3-2 mount to upgrade my SkyScout 90 for possible imaging purposes, but then thought with that money (EQ3-2 around £175 rrp) I might as well get a new scope, and keep my SkyScout 90 for lunar shots and sentimental value.

So what are people's thoughts and views on the two?

Nat xx

An 8" Newt on an EQ4 is going to be a little wobbly - it's only just acceptable for observing on the EQ5 (or preferably CG5). The better of your choices is the 6" on EQ5. But in the light of my experiences I would go for an 8" Newt on CG5 and buy them separately second hand - you should be able to negotiate a bargain. The Helios are ok but go for a s/h 200P in the black and white livery - should come in around £100 under 2yrs old in good nick - same for as s/h CG5 - it has better bearings than the EQ5. Hth :)

I'm no imager but if I were I'd spend my budget on a used mount plus motor drives/polar scope and then use my camera on it for wide field imaging for a while to gain experience. I'd then consider what scope the mount could handle. You'll find that imaging and visual astronomy are virtually two different hobbies with opposite requirements in many ways.

My preference is visual and on this basis I'd suggest a used 200p skywatcher dobsonian but if you want to get into imaging then the mount will be the most vital thing.

What Shane said :D

I do both observing and imaging and to get the best out of each, I have two sets of kit. A small scope on a big mount for imaging and a big (well, medium sized) scope on a Dob mount for observing. When I first started out I tried to do both with one set of kit (150P on EQ3-2) and while it got me started, it was very hard work.

I'm hoping i don't succumb to aperture fever, my bank balance really won't like me for that lol! So basically, I'm going to aim at getting either a 150mm or a 200mm reflector, with a mount no less than a EQ3-2, really like the sound of the EQ5, sounds bomb proof hahaha!! Then the dual motors, and the polar alignment scope, then a MS lifecam (and get either housemate or boyfriend to mod it for me) and the adaptor housing for it. Girls and their shopping sprees huh! :D

Forgot to mention that an EQ5 has a polar alignment thing within it. Obviously wont be as good as a proper alignment thing, but i use an RA motor and have done a spot of photography, and it seemed fine, well the pic came out okay anyway, the pic thread is here if ya wanna see quality.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/172048-first-image-ever/#entry1757036

Archived