Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC 410 Tadpoles in Ha w/ Mak-newt

jsigone

Got a super clear moonless night and felt like freezing my hands off for hte 1st image of the new year. Never imaged this target before and glad it framed up well with my FOV. Got solid 10min subs from my CG5 all night and that was a blessing!!

8340391013_957a08a3ed_c.jpg

IC410 Tadpoles Ha, 12x10min by jsigone, on Flickr

Snuck in this shot of Orion wide field w/ my ES Comet Hunter. Taken w/ Canon 450D, Yashica ML 28mm/F2.8 wide open for 15s (single image)

8341450568_1e64fa9889_c.jpg

backyard under the hunter by jsigone, on Flickr

LOL same expensive hobbies but my bikes get bumped to #1 for me, Just got that super6 few months ago...LOVE IT! I get more use out of them then my AP gear. One day I'll upgrade my used $350 CG5 mount to an CGEM but not in the cards anytime soon so work within the limits of the gear on hand. I've been on a manual focus lens kick for the past yr or so, that helps keep that hobby expense a bit looser.

Yes i know what you mean. I really must take the plunge and start looking at the old Canon lenses which with a good adapter im told are as good and in many cases better glass than many of todays lenses, that would help save a penny or two, especially if you can find someone selling old photography stuff that hasnt become aware of the rising value of old kit. As for astrophotography I havent even started yet. Been toying for ages as to which would be my best choices given current scope etc. I have decided to go down the widefield astrotrac route. This would be cheaper than the deep sky kit required (i think) and also the c ost of lenses brought for that are also shared by the photography hobby. Hopefully then that might free some funds for the bike, with years creeping by a carbon fram really would be a blessing on my behind over the alluminium one.

I'd bypass the astrotrac for widefield, its a nice device but dated, I'd get the iOptron Smart EQ for $400 usd. Would be the BEST bang for buck with go to and everything for half the price of Astrotrac and ball head.

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=17967&kw=3100&st=3

Older Canon FD lens won't fit on Canon EOS systems w/o a adapter w/ correcting glass which can make things fuzzy. M42 and Contax C/Y lens are bang on budget. So are some of the older Nikon Nikkor ED AiS but those are pricey, but great for AP. You can find Contax CY Carl Ziess 50mm F1.4 lens for around $250 and $30 for the adapter. The 50/F1.7 version can be had for about half that.

Yes i Know FD lens require an adapter. There is a comapny in Scotland that make first rate adpaters for this specific purpose, quite reasonable as well, will try and find the link i had. Regarding the 50mm Carl Zeiss lens sadly its very much indemand in this country, £230 - $370.

I like that the tadpoles stand out, they really do look good in the first Ha image. But there's a couple of things bothering me (How to buck the trend against the other posters so far!!!) - The stars look odd. There's some 'unroundness' going on and also it seems that the fainter ones around the top tadpole look kind of out of focus. As nice as it is, I'm not sure that the focus has been nailed and that perhaps you've had to work mega hard to get it to where it is now.

The colour version just doesn;t do it for me Im afraid. The stars are over powering, but not in a nice round sharp way and you are losing detail in the nebula.

Hope that helps and as I said, sorry to buck the trend.

Nice shot. I prefer the Ha version though; the stars are a little burned out and trailed in the colour image.

The stars in the Ha image have odd bright haloes around them. I'm not sure if this is a processing artifact, a reflection off the filter or perhaps more likely just not quite perfect focus.

Adrian

thanks for the comments. The halos in the Ha appeared in the DSS stacking but when I stacked last night data for the HaRGB I used nebulosity2 and it's much smoother. I had similar probs w/ DSS when I did the bubble last month. Tracking is still an issue for me, and I try to tweak settings to best overcome it, and is magnified even more on on this 2/3s chip. Last night wasn't as good as the other. But I'd rather put something on paper then nothing at all so I can learn from it and move on.

I'll post up the Ha from nebulosity stack later after i get back from my cold bike ride :grin:

Archived