Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TAL100R First Light

When the skies are clear you have to seize the moment don't you?

The forecast yesterday suggested clear skies for Cambridgeshire so I've spent all day pacing up and down, staring at the clear blue sky, and glaring at the cloud that came over earlier. Most of the cloud was scared away by my glaring and frowning but there was enough clear sky for me to get a quick first light with my new (to me) TAL100R.

Normally, with my dob it's a simple case of lift it up, take 5 paces outside onto the patio, set down and wait for an hour till it's cool enough to observe. The TAL has a wooden tripod and TAL undriven equatorial mount, which had been set up in my conservatory for a couple of days. I'd already balanced the telescope so had the counterbalance weights already in the right place, so it was just a case of taking all the bits and pieces outside.

First, the tripod. Luckily it's dark outside so my neighbours couldn't see me dancing around the garden whilst trying to stab myself in the leg with the sharp pointy ends on the three legs. I managed to extend the legs without drawing blood, and I've still got all my fingers after locking everything into place and getting it roughly level.

Next, the mount. Simple enough, just popped it into the top of the tripod, then screwed in the three securing bolts. I even remembered to point it towards Polaris, er....roughly anyway. Tilted it and locked the handle in place.

Finally, the OTA. Gently does it and I had it sat on the mount dovetail, screwed down the two locknuts and voila! That's a proper looking telescope guv :)

Cloud was coming over from the north east but Jupiter was in a clear patch. I just had to get to grips with this whiz bang EQ mount and I'd be away and observing. So I loosened off the two clutches, two bolts, just enough so the mount could move freely with enough resistance so it stayed in place. Sitting on my folding camping chair my first little problem was the 13mm Hyperion I had in the diagonal was in the way of the finderscope. In a moment of genius (ahem) I loosened off the two little bolts that hold the diagonal in the focuser and rotated it around so I could use the finderscope and then look through the eyepiece from the other side. That worked nicely and had me sitting comfortably to boot!

So what was the view like?

In short, sharp and clear! The two main bands stood out nicely as well as two further bands towards the south pole. I won't say this was definitely the best view I've ever had but it was certainly up there as very good indeed :) I looked for CA and did see some, though more of a taster rather than a glowing purple aurora, which I was kind of expecting to see. Not sure if this is something which will bother me until I get the chance to observe the Moon, which I imagine is the acid test. But if it does prove a problem I could always try a fringe killer filter. Since Jupiter was close to the Pleiades I changed to my 24mm Hyperion and was pleasantly surprised that all of M45 was within the field of view. Nice, sharp stars, with a hint of colour and was I imagining some nebulosity? Yes, probably!

The mount took a second or two to settle down and wasn't as stable as I was expecting but once settled, was okay. The slow motion controls were too far out of my reach to be useful but with the clutches set just right this wasn't a problem.

The weak spot on the early R model is the focuser which is very basic but I found all four of my Hyperions (24mm / 17mm / 13mm / 8mm) came to focus with no issues.

So, the verdict?

The TAL reputation for simple, dare I say agricultural, solid build with good views originally attracted my interest in the brand, and on first look seems well deserved. On the mount it looks...'right' and I think it will prove to be good partner for my 8" dob. I'll be outside again a little later to enjoy what clear skies I can and I'm rather pleased that I'll be partnered with this TAL.

Just have to wait for payday and perhaps a HEQ5 Pro and an ortho or two?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've got me jumping up and down with anticipation, twotter.

We've had a nice clear night so far in Norway and what I could have tried to do if it had been first light for me. Alas, I have 20 days (and counting) before my gear can be set up and used.

So I have had to settle for some (stunning anyway) views from my trusted 10x50s, summarised here.

Thanks for this review! Your enthusiasm for this addition shines through :smiley:

Tony

Aha, my fingers have warmed up. Out to look at some more!

Great report, Twotter. They are lovely telescopes indeed. Mine is a pretty much perfect match with my eq5 (would have been nice to get a tal one for completeness though :)), so your 100r will be great on a HEQ. As for orthos...what's not to like :).

I find very little CA with my 100rs; as you say a little round jupiter, and on the limb of the moon, but for me its completely tolerable. Not tried a fringe killer yet though.

Clear skies!

Great report and first light !

Did you manage to pick up the GRS ? - it was bang in the centre of the disk around 30 mins ago ?

The 8 eyepiece should be enough.

Just had a great view of that with a 7mm ortho in my skylight f13, John. Unfortunately, clouding over a bit here, but it was a fantastic sight!

Just had a great view of that with a 7mm ortho in my skylight f13, John. Unfortunately, clouding over a bit here, but it was a fantastic sight!

Great Mark :smiley:

There is a nice festoon coming south off the NEB too. Should be reaching the central meridian soon.

Nice report Twotter...:)

Dancing around in the garden stabbing yourself made me laugh.

I have and am still out with Lara the Lyra and Jupiter tonight has so far been stunning. A little ca is no big deal I'm finding and to be honest I'm not giving any attention to it now, I actually find it a none issue on the moon, as Marki says you get a little on the limb but it's no big deal. I find a tiny weeney bit in the shadows on the terminator with high mags but it is only a tiny weeney bit and not at all distracting. In fact I'm making something of nothing.

However, I would say that at moments of very thin cloud passing in front of Jupiter tonight I did feel that for a split second I got a bit of a contrast gain which has made me think about maybe getting a filter or two.

Look forwards to hearing some more. These achros are worthy additions it seems. What I am really enjoying is the practically instant on the money views, no boiling and no faff..and damned good value for the hard earn't.... :cool:

Nice one foundaplanet, glad you like your scope. I think you tried out my AZ4 and TAL 100RS last spring in Barton. You were using a Carbon OO 10 inch newton I believe.

Tidy yeah, I remember that well and at the time was impressed..:) I am loving Lara..:D It's great, it's immediate viewing... how ya doin?

John, do you see that festoon being followed by a mini festoon? (excuse me please twotter).

Great report and thank you. I hope the Tal offers you hours of pleasure, Twotter.

These achros are worthy additions it seems. What I am really enjoying is the practically instant on the money views, no boiling and no faff..and damned good value for the hard earn't.... :cool:

Although I will hopefully be upgrading to something more fitting for DSOs soon, it is exactly this kind of sentiment which makes a 4" achro a worthy partner in everyone's collection.

Tidy yeah, I remember that well and at the time was impressed.. :) I am loving Lara.. :D It's great, it's immediate viewing... how ya doin?

John, do you see that festoon being followed by a mini festoon? (excuse me please twotter).

Yep - great views tonight - the seeing is cracking here :smiley:

Although I will hopefully be upgrading to something more fitting for DSOs soon, it is exactly this kind of sentiment which makes a 4" achro a worthy partner in everyone's collection.

Ahhh, but will you be parting with your TAL? :shocked:

There a a couple of mods that can be done on the tripod and mount that help stability.

When you've got the scope indoors, have a look at the tripod. Note where the cup(that holds the mount) connects to the top of the tripod. It's quite a small, raised 'boss' that the cup sits on. The idea is to have it sitting on a larger area so it helps reduce any potential flexure. Two ways you could go at it.

1/ remove cup and fit a large(very large) washer with x3 drilled holes, over the raised 'boss', same thickness. From memory 1.5mm sounds right?

2/ The cheap n easy way. Loosen the cup and fit x3 bits of 32mm wide x 1.5mm Thk steel(I 'aquired' a handful of cut 32mm wide galv strips from my old works scrap bin), at the position of the legs. Re-tighten the cup. If the steel plate is a bit too long, trim to length or you can always hammer it down over the top of the legs. I did the latter, years ago and have never bothered to redo it. Looks quite nice, & it'll never rust.

That defo helps cut down, at least a wee bit, the damp time.

Next tip in fact helps any mount.

Get an extra weight. The closer you can put the counterweight to the mounts body, the better. The closer a weight is down near to the bottom of the shaft, can only be good for one thing and that's vibrations.

Andy

ps: Let me know if you want a pic of the tripod mod. It'll need to be in the next couple of days. It's dark and the loft is alive with bloodthirsty spiderpigs, when the sun sets. That area becomes like the 'cursed earth', where only retired fearless judges go............

4" fracs laugh in the face of not perfect seeing, which, lets face it, is nearly always...................

Indeed.

On those 3 nights a year (OK perhaps 4) when A the seeing is perfect, and I mean perfect. B when not only when the seeing perfect but the transparency is also perfect and C when those things also occur at the weekend or when I am on A/L then the dob reigns supreme. The other 361 nights the refractor has it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I sold mine :sad:

Got an ED100 with the proceeds though, which was even better :grin:

Sorry - couldn't resist :p

Well same as that as it goes, the views maybe a little better but the TAL is a much sexier scope than an ED100 (without the Moonlight and other pimps that is)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Archived