Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HEQ5 ok for visual use with 250mm newt??

crazyjedi

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am 65 and a bit 5' 11" and around 14 stone, i don't find putting my 250 onto the NEQ6 a struggle, but in the long term i will be looking for something a bit lighter, there is/was a video on how to mount the 250 using a box to stand it on and then move the mount so the dove tails could be clamped then raise it with the motors,,,,never tried this method......

I am 65 and a bit 5' 11" and around 14 stone, i don't find putting my 250 onto the NEQ6 a struggle, but in the long term i will be looking for something a bit lighter, there is/was a video on how to mount the 250 using a box to stand it on and then move the mount so the dove tails could be clamped then raise it with the motors,,,,never tried this method......

how easy is it? Will I find a trial after a while?

You'll find it a trial from the off is my view.

Take a look at the firts few pics in this thad to give you an idea of scale...

Its probably why I see so many 250s and 300s going for sale. But the answer is, whether you can humo the scope or not, its too big and fat for the HEQ.

The one I had wouldnt even balance on an EQ6 without an additional weight added. As you add weights of course the overall set up becaomes more and more of a challenge. My own 200 by the time it had bloated with a Moonlite focuser, 9x50 RACI finder, fan and tube rotator ring plus a 2lb eyepiece is pushing the HEQ5 in my opinion but I just cant lug an EQ6. The bloated 200 is just about ok but anything else added to it would push it the edge.

I was having a go at AP for a while with a f4.8 10" on an neq6 and as previously mentioned somewhere, they are like a sail.

With any hint of wind it was a waste of time, even from my sheltered back yard. You think your sheltered but you only need a small gust to come around and they're off. I can't imagine you would stand a chance on an eq5.

As for loading them, personally I did not find it a problem but I have been lifting heavy stuff into awkward places for most of my life. You have to have your wits about you, it ain't a piece of cake and it ain't all about muscle. It sure isn't something you would want to get wrong.

I was having a go at AP for a while with a f4.8 10" on an neq6 and as previously mentioned somewhere, they are like a sail.

With any hint of wind it was a waste of time, even from my sheltered back yard. You think your sheltered but you only need a small gust to come around and they're off. I can't imagine you would stand a chance on an eq5.

As for loading them, personally I did not find it a problem but I have been lifting heavy stuff into awkward places for most of my life. You have to have your wits about you, it ain't a piece of cake and it ain't all about muscle. It sure isn't something you would want to get wrong.

I was looking at using the newt for visual use only and swapping a SW 80ED apo onto the mount for A/P. It does rather sound that my plan on using a 250 on an HEQ5 Mount was complete folly though.

I think an ED80 and a 200p would make an excellant combination for the HEQ5. You could use the ED80 for widefield imaging and wide visuals of say open clusters, and the 200p with its much longer focal length would be great for imaging smaller apparent sized objects such as galaxies, planetary nebula, and globulars. Also the the 200p would be good for visual work on DSO's. I think both scopes would give pleasing views of the planets for different reasons:)

I think an ED80 and a 200p would make an excellant combination for the HEQ5. You could use the ED80 for widefield imaging and wide visuals of say open clusters, and the 200p with its much longer focal length would be great for imaging smaller apparent sized objects such as galaxies, planetary nebula, and globulars. Also the the 200p would be good for visual work on DSO's. I think both scopes would give pleasing views of the planets for different reasons:)

Thank you that is most encouraging. I am very aware that the mount is paramount when it comes to A/P but as yet I know less than is needed. Although I very much hope to live and learn

Thanks Olly. Looking at your Sig I'm thinking you know what you're talking about. :cool:

I wouldn't go that far!

Actually the excellence of the ED80, imaging bang for imaging buck, is one of the few undisputed issues in AP. I've never had one but I've seen many of them in action in the hands of guests and they're ridiculously good.

Olly

I wouldn't go that far!

Actually the excellence of the ED80, imaging bang for imaging buck, is one of the few undisputed issues in AP. I've never had one but I've seen many of them in action in the hands of guests and they're ridiculously good.

Olly

And for the money- something of a bargain from what I can see

I have a 250 on an EQ6 and that's probably at its limit, sure it's for astro photography so is loaded with guidescope, camera etc. The HEQ5 is simply too small for a 250. I have a HEQ5 that is currently home for my PST and I would never dream of putting the 250 on it.

I have a 250 on an EQ6 and that's probably at its limit, sure it's for astro photography so is loaded with guidescope, camera etc. The HEQ5 is simply too small for a 250. I have a HEQ5 that is currently home for my PST and I would never dream of putting the 250 on it.

Yes I fear I may have been over reaching with the idea

I think I am faced with the decision of plumping for the SW 200 to go on the HEQ5 or Dobing it with a 250mm

The only question that is on my mind is, how much of a performance improvement will the 200 be over my current 150 in real world terms?

77% more light gathering than the 150p. The 200p is physically much larger than the 150p you will be surprised I think. People say that things start to get interesting at 200mm if that vague comment helps:) I have just upgraded from a 150p to a 200p but I've not tried this particular 200p yet as I'm waiting for both clear skies and my EQ6 which I get Saturday. The 200p has 25% more focal length thatn the 150p so you can get a bit more upclose to objects, planets and small DSO's shoud show a reasonable amount of improvement.

The 200 will give you some very nice views. The likes of m108 and m109 will be smokey coloured smudges. M51 will be fantastic with detail in the arms visible. The major limiting factor will be the light pollution and this is what will really affect views of harder targets like m101. A 200mm scope is quite portable and so is an HEQ5 so it's a realistic option to find a dark sight to observe from. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived