Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Need to get back into observing !

I'm sorry to say that I have not done any observing with my 200p / neq6. Mainly because of the weight and time it takes to setup. Also having a bad time with my back this year hasn't helped.

So I am thinking of getting a dob. Question is a 6 or an 8 ? Yes I know bigger the better and most would say a 10 but I can't justify that cost.

Part of me says a 6 as I have the 200p. So the question is what would you do ?

Cheers.

8 is a nice size easy to handle when taken down and more portable, i had a 16" meade which i loved but it hurt my back carrying it in the garden, some day i will have another but next up is 8 inch dobby for my grab and go, great scopes for the price

If you're thinking of the Skywatcher Skyliner dobs then I think the 6" & 8" versions use the same dob mount, so there wouldn't be that much weight saving. I have a lower back problem too and I can move my 8" dob in one go by holding onto the handles. Granted I only need to move it a few metres onto my patio but if I needed to go further I would carry the OTA and dob base seperately.

In your shoes I'd buy a Skyliner 200 dob.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input. I think im going to go for the 8 Inch dob. That way its an easily portable setup. It can always be sold on at a later date plus i still get to use my NEQ6 when I feel upto it.

Jason

Thanks for all the input. I think im going to go for the 8 Inch dob. That way its an easily portable setup. It can always be sold on at a later date plus i still get to use my NEQ6 when I feel upto it.

Jason

As you already have an 8 inch scope (presumably the 1000mm focal length, rather than the 1200mm focal length?), you won't be purchasing a scope that is very different from your current one if you opt for the skyliner 200p. The aperature is the same, although it is a bit 'slower'.

I would either get something completely different (a nice Mak maybe, or a refractor), or simply mount your existing scope on a dob base. If it's your current mount that is causing you grief (and I can see why with an NEQ6), then just change the mount, rather than having two very similar scopes.

Maybe I'm missing something in the detail though? Whatever you choose, I hope you can get out observing more in the future (if this weather ever clears ;) )

Archived