Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

FLO Desiccant Cap

Daniel-K

As we are post christmas 2012 but pre christmas 2013, could I have some choccys? If not, how about for my daughters 2nd Birthday? Hint hint nudge nudge

The Bendicks choccies was a Christmas 2012 thing, they were certainly popular :icon_santa:

• 7 years later...

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I have the Flo Dessicant cap and wondered about other ways of drying the crystals out for re-use.

The instructions only mention placing the packs on a radiator, but that's tricky in the Summer (even British Summers ! 🙂)

I was wondering if they could be dried in a microwave as well ?  I searched on line and that seems ok for the crystals that go from blue to pink, but I couldn't find any reference to these ones that go from yellow to dark green.

Also, the three "tea bags" that fit in my cap may be too little in the microwave, so I was thinking about just popping them in when I brew a coffee in there (three minutes).

Commenting on the cap itself, I've had it for several months now and I think it's an excellent design.

Dual fit 1.25 and 2 inch, and with holes just at the bottom, so you can stand it on a shelf while observing and so it keeps the crystals sealed while the scope's in use.

The two outer diameters fit all of my scopes and adapters perfectly.

I'd originally intended being a cheapskate and modifying a suitably sized plastic container, but this precision made item was well worth the expense. It lives in my Maksutov 180 and keeps it nice and dry in my Pod. 👍

Edited by Astro-Geek

I think the material the bags are made from has quite a high melting point- you could probably dry them in regular oven set at 100degC. Or just buy new ones- they’re pretty cheap. Microwave might work but you really want dry warm place- if the moisture can’t escape well enough it’ll just be reabsorbed or not evaporate at all? Your coffee brewing might hinder the drying process ;)

• Like 1

I use a lot of these for my 3D printing as the filament has to be kept dry when in storage. I always re-generate them in the microwave. I sit them on a couple of layers of kitchen roll which absorbs any moisture given off and run the microwave on defrost setting for 5 minutes at a time. Normally takes about 3 to 4 goes at this setting depending how many I am drying out (usually 10 to 20 of them).  I do it in 5 minute sessions and if the bags are getting too hot let them cool down before the next 5 minutes. Works great.

The silica gel bags I use have colored crystals in them that change colour when saturated to when dry so that really helps judge when they are fully saturated and also when fully dried out again.

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Astro-Geek said:

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I have the Flo Dessicant cap and wondered about other ways of drying the crystals out for re-use.

The instructions only mention placing the packs on a radiator, but that's tricky in the Summer (even British Summers ! 🙂)

I was wondering if they could be dried in a microwave as well ?  I searched on line and that seems ok for the crystals that go from blue to pink, but I couldn't find any reference to these ones that go from yellow to dark green.

Also, the three "tea bags" that fit in my cap may be too little in the microwave, so I was thinking about just popping them in when I brew a coffee in there (three minutes).

Commenting on the cap itself, I've had it for several months now and I think it's an excellent design.

Dual fit 1.25 and 2 inch, and with holes just at the bottom, so you can stand it on a shelf while observing and so it keeps the crystals sealed while the scope's in use.

The two outer diameters fit all of my scopes and adapters perfectly.

I'd originally intended being a cheapskate and modifying a suitably sized plastic container, but this precision made item was well worth the expense. It lives in my Maksutov 180 and keeps it nice and dry in my Pod. 👍

As I said above they will dry fine in the microwave but I would not use full power as the bags tend to come out all melted.

The bags I use are 10g or 20g (20g are about tea bag size) and have yellow/ green crystals in them to tell the state.

If you use low power. or defrost which is what I always use, even 3 bags will dry out without damage. Put them on the kitchen roll and just do 3 or 4 minutes and see how it goes. You may find you can do 5 minutes without a problem as I do.. If too hot to touch then may be getting close to where the crystals will get damaged so let them coo and do this a few times until the crystal colour changes to yellow (I assume green is saturated and yellow re-generated). You should soon find out exactly how long you can do it each time and how many times you need to do it.

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks for the very prompt and helpful replies.

I tried three of them in my microwave on the defrost setting, but even though I tried for just two minutes initially that was to fast unfortunately.

To be honest my microwave is a very cheap affair, with no variable power settings for defrost, so my fault.

The three bags got very hot and two burst open, though the cystals had become a nice bright yellow.

On reflection I think I should have tried just 30 seconds at a time, with intervals to cool down.

No worries though, I still have spares from the original kit, and I'll know for next time.

Thanks again for the replies.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Astro-Geek said:

I tried three of them in my microwave on the defrost setting, but even though I tried for just two minutes initially that was to fast unfortunately.

To be honest my microwave is a very cheap affair, with no variable power settings for defrost, so my fault.

The three bags got very hot and two burst open, though the cystals had become a nice bright yellow.

On reflection I think I should have tried just 30 seconds at a time, with intervals to cool down.

So sorry this happened I did not want to give any false information.

I am not fully sure how big these bags are you are using. Funnily enough just before i read your posts I ordered some 10g and 20g bags from Amazon.

20g

10g

The 20g bags it recommends drying in microwave for 2 minutes not sure till they come how it recommends drying the 10g which are a different manufacturer. If you want me to send you a couple of them to see the size and if they are suitable you are welcome to PM me your address and I will happily send them to you.

Steve

• Like 1

Absolutely no need for apologies Steve.  🤓

They were very small bags, (as the dessicant cap easily holds three of them), so I should have done it in 30 second bursts max.

As I say my microwave is a really cheapo Tesco one, £29.99 about 10 years ago !

Its simple method of defrosting seems to alternate full power with intervals of fan only.

• Thanks 1