Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

FLO Desiccant Cap

Daniel-K

bought the new desiccant cap form FLO last week i like the idea but its very very tight fit in my focuser maybe they could shave a 1000th of a mill of it to make a slightly better fit rather than having to twist and push to get in and out. also the bags of silica they supply fall through the holes. any one else had any issues with this kit?

... the bags of silica they supply fall through the holes.

Hi Daniel,

You are not supposed to open the silica bags. The silica stays in the bag. The bag acts like a tea-bag, it has tiny holes. Used this way it is impossible for the silica to fall through the holes in the cap.

If it isn't a good fit with your focuser you are welcome to return it for a refund :smiley:

We haven't experienced any others that are a tight fit but we have heard from someone who bought the Dual Fit Desiccant Cap and found his telescope required a longer 1.25" nosepiece. The next batch will be a little longer.

HTH,

Steve

i thought that you weren't suppose to open them but they didn't seem to be working. the 1.25" fitting fits very nice its just the 2 inch thats very tight, maybe you could try in one of your quttros focuser and tell me what you think?

Dan

i thought that you weren't suppose to open them but they didn't seem to be working.

It is a slow process, it doesn't happen in a few minutes. The attached photo shows the cap and a bag of desiccant. The desiccant crystals start yellow then turn green when they can no longer soak up moisture. If you then dry the bag on a radiator until the crystals are yellow again you can re-use the bags several times. More bags are available.

Silica desiccant is harmful if eaten, please throw away the loose desiccant. If you decide to keep the cap I'll happily send you some more desiccant bags.

We can machine a cap with a slightly smaller diameter but it would need to wait until we make another batch. Probably mid-late January.

HTH,

Steve

post-54-0-16162700-1355839289_thumb.jpg

Daniel, I was so distracted at your having opened a bag of silica gel that I didn't notice you are using a desiccant cap with a Newtonian telescope. A Newtonian telescope is not a closed tube so the cap will not be effective.

No telescope tube is entirely airtight but some refractors, Maksutovs and SCT telescopes are closed enough for a desiccant cap to work.

Please return your cap for a refund.

HTH,

Steve

• Like 1

Newtonian telescopes usually ventilate around the mirror cell. They also have a large internal volume compared to a refractor, catadioptric or Maksutov. With a Newtonian telescope like yours our desiccant cap makes a classy alternative to the regular plastic focuser cap but it won't be very effective at drawing out moisture.

HTH :smiley:

just a heads up the dessicant cap seems to be working well in the newt, the beads have turned a slight off green color indicating they are sucking out the moisture :grin:

They suck out the moisture, but since the Newt's tube is wide open, moisture is immediatelly replenished from the outside air, that's what FLO mentioned earlier.