Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

7mm T6 Nagler

jabberwocky

Just had first light with this little gem, what an eyepiece, the views of Jupiter were amazing, better than my 5 mm BGO and so much easier to use, being able to follow it edge to edge without losing image quality really is a joy with an undriven scope.

my first Io transit and first view of the GRS as well

Congrats JW, thats a mighty fine piece of glass you have there! I haven't used the 7mm but have owned a few of the longer focal lengths & would agree they are fabulous ep's. Jupiter is serving up a wealth of detail this season, I have had some of the best views I have ever had & it just seems to keep on giving.

Great eyepiece jabberwocky - congratulations !

I've owned all the T6 Naglers at one time or another apart from the 11mm and really enjoyed them. I found they compared well to "low glass" designs such as the Baader GO's too and the massive and sharp field of view and 12mm of eye relief makes observing with manually driven scopes easier.

They pack a lot of performance into a pretty compact package :smiley:

I found I used 5mm quite a lot too, even with my 1200mm focal length 10" newtonian.

I've got to say I'm thinking of getting the 5mm now as well, if I can find second had great if not ill take advantage of the 10% sale.

Alan, interesting that you are comparing it to the 6mm Delos, that's on my wanted list as well, ill await your review.

for planetary observing is it normal to cover as many focal lengths as possible, ie 5mm, 6mm and 7mm, or is that overkill?

I've got to say I'm thinking of getting the 5mm now as well, if I can find second had great if not ill take advantage of the 10% sale.

Alan, interesting that you are comparing it to the 6mm Delos, that's on my wanted list as well, ill await your review.

for planetary observing is it normal to cover as many focal lengths as possible, ie 5mm, 6mm and 7mm, or is that overkill?

If you can afford to then go for it. At those focal lengths the difference of 1mm gets quite large (30 to 40x on your 200p) so yes, to get the most out of a particular nights viewing conditions, I'd say you'd need a few in that area.

I'm looking forward to Alan's review too :smiley:

Having a number of short focal length eyepieces seems sensible to me as you sometimes need to experiment to find the optimum power for the seeing conditions / object being viewed. With that in mind I've now got 8mm, 6mm, 5mm, 4mm and 3.5mm eyepieces and they all see a fair amount of use as my scopes vary in focal length from 663mm to 1590mm.

Jabberwocky,

it may well be OTT but I have 7mm, 6mm 5.5mm 5mm 4.5mm and 4mm, and they all get used. I am even thinking of the Delos 3.5mm to top out so to speak. In the higher quality makes there is not a great deal of choice at this end especially below 5mm.

Alan.

Archived