Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hole lot of Rosette

Chris

Funnily enough i've been looking at the Atik Titan recently too, looks good and the software will be great but you can get the Qhy6 for 100 quid cheaper and is cooled. I believe that driver issues for the qhy6 are sorted now too....

I must admit that i've not looked at the RC's yet, but may well have a nose in a bit lol. Am still debating between a second scope or simply saving for a deicated ccd then nb filters etc. My little scope does fine and when the clouds clear, if my field is 100% sorted then i think i'll be a happy bunny for the time being.

Btw you do seem to be doing very well unguided with the 150, but i reckon the ed80 will churn out some crackers too!

I've just had a look at the QHY6 on on the Modern Astronomy site and it does look appealing for the money and obviously fills the gap between the QHY5 and the QHY8 which was a big jump. I'll look at the specs between the QHY6 and the Atik Titan to see how much the differ when I get a chance?

When you told me you wouldn't mind a longer FL scope which was still portable and compact for imaging I must admit that RC's did spring immediately to mind, they are very compact, no mirror shift, about 1.3 to 2m FL depending on the aperture, and they have a relatively flat field inherently! The only downside I can think of is that the f/ratios are on the high side e.g. f/8 for the 8-10" and f/9 for the budget 6" but the you can reduce them down and the 6" has 1.3m FL which is pretty good. Infact Daniel-K has one up for sale on here and I think it was only about 160 quid (400 ish new), although it doesn't have a focuser so I don't know how much one would cost for it?

Long FL scope or CCD with your wide field frac? Hhmm? I guess this depends on the kind of objects you want to image, a long FL scope would be nice for things like galaxies (other than m31), planetary nebs, and clusters. I don't know anough about CCD imaging to know how going CCD will improve things with your INED70 frac, I'm guessing unless you got a big chip one you'd need to do mosaics for wide field shots?

I've only managed to image the Horse and flame so far with the ED80 and also only imaged this Rosette so far with the 150p you sold me. One things for sure and that is the 150p doesn't half suck in the photons! I honestly thought it would take me a few imaging sessions to get this much signal, but all it took was 53 minutes! :D This has certainly made me look twice at getting a bigger and maybe even faster Newt for the obsy, especially as I'll probably be unguided for a while longer. If I was guiding and had a better mount I would be tempted by an 8" RC:)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THat's a nice image Chris - nicely fitting in to the field of view. All the more so given the relative shortness of the subs and that they were unguided!

James

Thanks James:) I must say I was happy imaging with my WO66 but now I've tried a fastish newt I think I may be somewhat converted, I also don't mind a few diffraction spikes especially at Xmas:D I might be seeing you guys about a Newt upgrade soon, 200mm Quattro or the 200pds??

Yea i suspect id have to mosiac if i went for a qhy6 and was imaging larger targets, but it does look good for the price and you could always use it as a guide camera later too :-D

To be honest i may well just end up with a newt as my longer focal length scope, just cheaper and i am pretty ok at collimating anyways. Mak-newt is nice bit pricey and i do want something with about f6 at the slowest.... The 130pds looks nice for the price, its only 650 focal length but thats about double my little frac lol. Choices choices.

Did you see the package deal Bern does on the qhy6, which is camera, filter wheel and LRGB filter for about 450 quid?

I was thinking about an 8" RC at one time but there were a couple of things that put me off one of which was the slow focal ratio.

I've given it some thought also Gina, I think i've decided that my old black HEQ5 would struggle a bit too much at 1.6m FL so realistically long focal length for me will be 0.75m to 1m.

Yea i suspect id have to mosiac if i went for a qhy6 and was imaging larger targets, but it does look good for the price and you could always use it as a guide camera later too :-D

To be honest i may well just end up with a newt as my longer focal length scope, just cheaper and i am pretty ok at collimating anyways. Mak-newt is nice bit pricey and i do want something with about f6 at the slowest.... The 130pds looks nice for the price, its only 650 focal length but thats about double my little frac lol. Choices choices.

Did you see the package deal Bern does on the qhy6, which is camera, filter wheel and LRGB filter for about 450 quid?

Well if you like I could drop the 150p back to you for mates rates, it seems to fit what you would like FL 750mm f/5, I'm upgradng aperture to 200mm so its got to go to someone:)

The QHY6 package deal does sound good for that money, whats the catch?:)

Looks good chris well done. Has the pimped ed80 had first light yet ?

Yes both visual and imaging:) The contrast and sharpness on Jupiter was very impressive even at high mag, and I let it loose on the Horse and flame a while ago, I posted it but it wasn't alot of data and I could have done with my CLS-CCD clip filter then:)

Really nice capture for me the second one is better for the reasons you did it, better colour and background sky.This is high up on my list of targets for the ED80.Do you use a reducer with the Ed80? As this would make the target easier to capture.An obsy is such a time saver.

Really nice capture for me the second one is better for the reasons you did it, better colour and background sky.This is high up on my list of targets for the ED80.Do you use a reducer with the Ed80? As this would make the target easier to capture.An obsy is such a time saver.

Thanks Andyo:) yeah I'm pleased with the second one apart from some of the stars are a bit pink:D I don't have a reducer for the ED80 at the moment its something to think about but I think you need an extra adapter for the celestron ED80. I'm enjoying the obsy so far I would recommend it:)

JNC- would you think it was mad if I wanted to try and flock the inside of the ED80 tube with it being so narrow:D

not sure you would see any real difference its already baffled inside isnt it ? i cant remember.

if you have some flocking left over what the hell might as well :biggrin: . i shall go look for that HH image

doesn't the WO MkII work with the ed80 ?

I may well take up that offer Chris and use it as a project, flock, focuser, custom spray job etc. Nice of you to offer a deal but if i was to buy it i'd pay the going rate, after all Atik ccds don't buy themselves lol.

You managed to finish tidying that ed80? Love to see the finished item.

I'm just wondering if we'll get any more clear nights this year :D Certainly none forecast before Christmas :( There are so many objects I want a try at and gear to try out!

Very nice image. When I get my DSO imaging setup together, this is one of the targets high on my wish-list.

Thanks Micheal:) its a great object I missed it last year so I'm really pleased to have got to it now. I think your triplet apo would do really well on the Rosette when you get the chance:)

Beautiful image of the rosette Chris, you must be chuffed! also just noticed your avatar pic, nice little tribute there...... :embarassed:

Stan

Thanks Stan:) I know your a big fan of lenses for astro like myself, but I have to say I've been very impressed with the newt on this one for the sub length and time spent on it:)

I think quite a few of us have changed our avatars for a while in memory of him, fancy joining in theres some great pics of him on the net:)

Thanks Micheal:) its a great object I missed it last year so I'm really pleased to have got to it now. I think your triplet apo would do really well on the Rosette when you get the chance:)

The triplet was bought exactly with this in mind. Still need a good camera and better mount

I like :)

Wonderful image. Can't wait to have a crack at that when we next get a clear night.

Thanks Kirkster:) I look forward to seeing yours with the ED80, I'm tempted to give the Rosette another go this time with the ED80 so I can see how they compare:)

I'm just wondering if we'll get any more clear nights this year :D Certainly none forecast before Christmas :( There are so many objects I want a try at and gear to try out!

Its not looking good around here in East Anglia over the next few days, its chucking it down at the moment:( I'm sure we'll get at least one more clear night before Xmas as the forecast does change quite often, if we do what do you fancy imaging and with which bit of kit?:)

I'm dying to have a go at this one :D And what do we get - continual rain! :(

vish I cud spel

ah :D that answers my question:) I must edit loads of my posts for spelling, not sure why we worry so much though as I guess it only really matters if we accidently typed a rude word:D

Don't mention the rain, i have a list of things to image and my blimin heq5 synscan nearly got a soaking the other day! Weather report said clear all night but surprise surprise clouds appeared followed by more rain grrrrr :@

Archived