Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Mission on No Return - Mars One

Qualia

Have any of you seen this from Mars One

According to the site..."Mars One intends to maintain an on-going, globally televised media event, from astronaut selection to training, from lift-off to landing, to provide primary funding for this next giant leap for mankind...."

Big Brother going into space :icon_eek:

What isn't mentioned is that there will be no return to Earth for any of the crew. Once settled on Mars, they will remain there for the rest of their lives.... :eek:

Would any of you ever consider doing something like this? :dontknow:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Truthfully, I wouldn't do it although it really does appeal to the explorer in me. There are two reasons:

Reason one, I couldn't justify my place because I wouldn't offer enough value at my age, even with more experience. This mission would want the stars of the human race, they might be somewaht eccentric to do it in the first place but they would be genius in some standing in thier own field of experience. These guys and ladies would be selected on grounds of aforementioned genius and also on chld bearing potentials. (No point sending a load of 55 year old genius to set up something that is a radical and pioneering move for the human race and not keep it populated, cheaper in the long run to have it self sustaining). The latter part (in brackets) is a maybe, maybe on the first few tranches, in later stages, I reckon this consideration would be a must. A move from Earth to another planet has to be a self sustainable venture.

Reason Two, would they still sell Carling? didn't think so................

Baz

The Mission Statement under Emmigration states: "A central point to Mars One Mission is the emigration of the human astronauts. Mars becomes their new home, where they will live and work for what will likely be the remainder of their lives...." :icon_eek:

For me that spells the stuff of nightmare :wacko:

Talk on this by a professor about 15-18 months ago. He reckoned that it was the most obvious solution to any manned misson to Mars. The difficulty of getting there and back is pretty horrendous. Having to rely on what we think/hope is on Mars means there is always a probability that once there there is no realistic chance of a return.

Locating water is a small part, anyone know of a rocket launched with water?

Cannot use an aircraft type initial lauch with a secondary rocket as the atmosphere is close to non existant.

Getting to Mars is about 10% of the problem, getting back is far greater.

The point of the talk was send people that are 45-55 and expect it to be one way.

Big Brother going into space :icon_eek:

I wrote to both Endemol and NASA a while ago, proposing they discuss holding the next Big Brother on the ISS. Just think how much more interesting eviction night would be.

They never replied. :(

I think that, even if this was real, they will struggle to find people willing to go through with it.

Ithink what tou mean is they will be struggling to find people with the relevent qualifications who are willing to go through with it.....

Archived