NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader genuine ortho

jabberwocky

Ordered yesterday from the good folks at FLO, delivered this morning, first light this evening.

ive been meaning to buy a planetary eyepiece for ages and seeing as they are about to disappear I thought I'd see what all the fuss is about with BGOs, well now i can see, just had the best view I've ever had of Jupiter, once the dob was cooled the view was amazing, the banding and detail was stunning.

They aren't the easiest eyepiece to look through and with such a narrow FoV Jupiter races from once side to the other and gone in seconds but the views are worth it

It may not get a huge amount of use in a manual track scope but I think this is a keeper, I can only imagine what it will be like in a scope on a tracking mount to enable more time at the eyepiece.

Hehe - sounds like me - I struggle sometimes to keep Jupiter in view as well. Its a real pain when I'm using my f13 100mm scope - I struggle to reach the slo -mos on my eq mount in time to keep things in view :). I sometimes put the 5mm on my 80mm equinox (gives x100) when thats on my tracking mount - nice to spend uninterrupted time so that the details come out :).

Those BGOs are really good for planets :) I liked the 7mm I had so much I pretty much immediately got the 5mm as well.

I agree they are superb. I have the 7mm, 9mm and 12.5mm (and previously the 18mm). in my 6" f11 with the equatorial platform they are a real joy. as my 16" has such smooth bearings they are pretty good in that too although my Radians match the big scope better.

I have been tempted by one of those many times Shane but the 50° fov in an undriven scope makes me nervous to commit! Even at the 6mm setting (250x), I reckon I would spend more time nudging than observing!

I do agree with this. I love my BGOs, but trying to use the shorter focal lengths in my 10" dob was what pushed me into buying a Nagler.

James

Archived