Help Advice On The Best Eyepiece

Hello everyone I am new at astronomy I am currently learning the basics at the moment, what I am after is some advice on the type of eyepieces I need to get some good views of planets such as Saturn I currently have two eye pieces 25mm and 10mm focal length and the scope and I have is Sky-Watcher Skyliner-200P Classic Parabolic Dobsonian any help be much appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

have to agree with the others on that budget (new) bst/starguiders @£47 each. the x-cel lx range are also in budget @£68. to be honest the starguiders are as good so id save the extra £20.

the reason these are recomended is that they have better eye relief at higher magnifications ,where as plossls generally become harder to use at the higher end. for planets with your scope id recomend the 8mm bst or the 7mm or 9mm x-cel lx. unless you have a barlow lens, then maybe the 15 or 12mm starguider or the 12mm x-cel.

x-cels can be bought from the sponsor (first light optics) at the head of this page. bst/starguiders are available here -> http://www.skysthelimit.org.uk/telescope%20eyepieces.html

the tmb planetary e/p's (also at skys the limit) are also worth a look.

hth.

I am very new and also found finding new eyepieces a bit daunting! I settled on the Vixen Npl Plossl range and picked my size, they are not top of the range but will allow you to get 2 or 3 with your budget, they are quite a step up from the ones supplied with the scope I have found!

I have no doubt the Vixen plossls are very good but with an undriven dob I wouldn't recommend them at high powers. The eye relief below 8mm will be intolerable! I would cast another vote in favor of the BST or Xcel-lx.

I would recommend buying second-hand....I've obtained all mine this way and saves alot on the new price. All have come with original caps, boxes and have arrived in great condition. They don't exactly wear out and barring accidents most people seem to treasure them.

Thanks to Wookie 1965 for the Swindon link...Very informative.

I use a 5mm baader genuine ortho in mine for planets but its not the easiest eyepiece to look through and has a very narrow field of view which is a pain in an undriven mounted scope, but optically its brilliant, the views of Jupiter are stunning.

i've compared an 8mm bst (starguider) and a 7mm celestron x-cel lx and for me the x-cel was better. the deep sky views looked similar between the two but the moon was way better in the x-cels, i also got kidney beaning/black outs with the bst's. i didn't compare planet views as jupiter wasn't up at the time but i have read a review that says the x-cel teases out more detail, from what i have seen now of jupiter with them, i am very impressed. good luck!

I think with reviews you have to take into account that each eyepiece will be different depending on the person viewing through it , I've not experienced the kidney beaning with the bst and in fairness have not tried the x-cels so can't comment on them , I will however say that what ever you pick if its down to info from here then you won't go far wrong :)

Archived