Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC1499 - Experimental setup = Fail

swag72

You may have seen my last image which was the Rosette with my new Atik 460 and a 0.67x reducer. I had a play with spacing, got a tecnical appraisal on what I was seeing (Thank you Steve (Steppenwolf!!)) and it seems that the reducer just isn't going to work with the inbuilt flattener in the Pentax. I knew that it was a long shot. I love the field of view, so am looking at trying another reducer and see what happens then.

So here's NGC1499, with some dire corners and stars and the final image with this combo as I have marked this as a resounding FAIL!!

11x1200s Ha

post-5681-0-56759500-1354449050_thumb.jp

Shame your in Spain, I have the Televue TRF-2008 reducer that works great on the APM 107 f/6.5, I want to try the 0.67 before I sell it.. we could have swapped and tried each others reducer.. Mines ready spaced for 13mm registered ccd.

I would not say that's a fail Sara, I would say its a attempt to beat the odds and try and do something

no one else has probably tried, and is a shame as it looks like it could of had potential

good luck with your experimenting, looking forward to your next shot

Paul

I'm sorry you didn't have better luck with the AP reducer and your Pentax, Sara. I had reasonable success with the same combination, but with an Atik 16HR, which has a sensor only about 3/4 the size of yours; that gave a pretty good flat field except just in the corners. Maybe that's about the limit of the image circle that this works with. The Pentax has such a good flat field in native mode, I reverted to doing 2-pane mosaics if I couldn't fit everything in! It all takes a lot longer that way of course.

If you find a reducer that preserves the flat field over a bigger area, I'd be interested to know.

Adrian

That is once again a wonderful image from you! :)

May I ask where in Spain you are? Are you near to any towns etc?

My wife and myself will be moving over there eventually, but will probably be in a town called Nerja, or at least near to there. It'd be interesting to know the light pollution situation over there compared to here!

Your images always give me something to aspire to! Still saving up for that Atik camera, it's going to take me a good while I think :p

Thanks all for your comments - If I find the right reducer you'll be sure to read about it Adrian!!!

I am about 40km from Valencia city (Spains 3rd largest). Light pollution is not too bad for me as I always image to the East, over a National park, so it's pretty dark, Nerja is on the Costa Del Sol, so I reckon you'll probably find there's about the same light pollution as I have here unless you are going inland and away from the bright lights. Great move over here, est thing we ever did, If you have any questions then feel free to PM me. If I can help I will although there's not much worse than listening to some expat drone on about how great life is abroad!!

I haven't much positive to say about your dilemma Sara. Nice though it is to have praise for an image I'm sure you won't take it personally if I tell the truth ? It's a resounding FAIL :o) I also agree with Takman. It goes off very quickly from centre.

The reason for the post is in response to the TS reducer. First it says, " Well corrected optics and flat fields " and then goes on to say, " Such as the Takahashi FS-series ". Take it from me, the FS series is NOT flat so I don't know what to make of the advert.

Another thing. If you put a reducer very close to the camera you'll end up with less reduction and slower than you expect.

If only you could try before you buy. I feel almost as down about this as you obviously do.

Dave.

The reason it's a fail is not Sara's skill but equipment that doesn't work.

If I can help I will although there's not much worse than listening to some expat drone on about how great life is abroad!!

:lol:

We were going to be moving over a few years ago before the job situation deteriorated. We're now biding our time, waiting for the right moment!

Thanks for your responses - Dave I certainly don't take it personally, I can see that the fail is pretty epic!!!

Interesting your comments about the TS reducer - I really don't know what to think of their comments and while I was happy to take a punt on one reducer, I really wish I didn't have to do it again. I am looking later on at a comparison between the 460 and 314 on a similar target and sensitivity. As it stands at the moment, I am a little surprised by the sensitivity of one of these camera's, but I really need to do a like for like comparison rather than just look at the fits files as they roll out - I will post my thoughts on that hopefully later today.

@eupony - Yes the job situation is dire out here - Thank goodness I don't have that pressure!

Having just read the German page it looks like they mention the Pentax scope and not the FS scopes. I didn't spot that before ! It may be a mistake on their part mentioning the FS.

May be contact them ?

Dave.

Thanks Dave - I shall go and read the German page! Once upon a time, there was a couple of reducers made for the Pentax. Of course, the scope is like rocking horse do-do and I don't rate my chances of EVER seeing one of the matched reducers in my lifetime!

Archived