SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Full Moon using the Skymax 127 mak

bigal1

Hi all well tonight was nice and clear for a time and the moon looked great so i couldn't resist snapping a few pics of it , equipment used was a Skywatcher Skymax 127 mak scope and a Canon 1000D camera . The final image is a stack of 46 seperate ones processed in registax 6 and photoshop cs5 .

Regards Alan

post-6177-0-55284300-1354143948_thumb.jp

great image - inspired me to have a go next clear full moon we get

Have a go whenever you can get a clear view of the Moon for twenty minutes or so. In many respects the Moon is more interesting when it isn't full because the face-on lighting means there are few shadows to show up the details of the landscape.

James

Thannks for the comments , i think James has it spot on in regards to the full moon . With no shadows it shows as a quite a flat surface compared to say half moon where you get some very nice shadows which adds a lot of depth to the image also i find it a lot harder to get focus spot on when the moon is full ( also due to the lack of depth ) .

i find it a lot harder to get focus spot on when the moon is full ( also due to the lack of depth ) .

Me too. Last night I ended up focusing using the craters right on the limb to judge focus which is nowhere near as easy as using features on a nice clear terminator.

James

Nice photo Alan. I love the subtle colours in the Mare.

It was only really when I started taking my own Moon images and looking at them really closely that I realised how much variation there is in colour in the maria. It's quite surprising how much detail there is there. I guess it's quite easy to fall into the trap of thinking of the moon as bright white/mid grey/dark grey and little else.

James

Archived