Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EP Advice needed for the Skyliner 150p Dob

Magic

Hey Guys,

just more than 6 months ago i purchased my first telescope - the Skyliner 150p Dob.

I have never regretted or looked back at my purchase I mean just seeing the ring's of Saturn in my opinion is priceless! My only concern is that I could benefit greatly from some more quality EP's. The 25mm EP provided with the scope in all honestly is not too bad. Everything seems relatively clear however I have never owned a quality EP so I have nothing to compare it too. The 10mm EP provided in all honestly needs improvement. I feel it is never quite sharp enough as it should be and it has poor eye relief.

I have currently ordered the 12mm BST Explorer EP however I am looking to maybe add a few more to the collection - preferably a mixture of different EP's.

If anyone has any advice about which ones they think would really benefit my scope that would be great. Obviously as much as i would love to buy a televue I just don't have the budget for it at the moment... maybe in the future ;) I am open to anything up to 200 pounds at the moment so please post if you can give me some advice :)

Many thanks

Magical

Hi Magical. With your budget of £200 you could get a couple of these http://www.firstligh...e-eyepiece.html

The 8mm would give 150x with your scope to give nice views of the planets, loads of double stars, and smaller DSOs like galaxies, planetary nebs, globular clusters etc.

The 24mm would give great views of larger DSOs like open clusters, larger galaxies like M31, wide double stars etc etc.

The 12mm BST you are getting would give an in between 100x.

This of course is only one suggestion. Your budget would afford Televue EPs if you can spot any second hand.

Regards, Ed.

The Explore Scientific and Meade ranges offer lenses within your price bracket that a rather good. The above idea of getting second hand TV's is a good one too.

In the shorter focal lengths many people on here rave about BGO's and ortoscopic EP's in general are thought to be excellent for higher power planetary work (provided you don't mind their inherent narrower FOV).

Thank's a lot for the advice Sunshine. I have just taken a look at those and they sound good :) I think I might be tempted to get the 26mm one if i had to choose one of the three. I also looked at the Celstron x-cel's and I wonder if they might be good widefield EP's for 1.25"?

Hi Ed - thank you for the advice. I just took a look at those Hyperions and they look great. Would you suggest maybe a Hyperion 24mm then for looking at something like the M31 or Orion nebula?

Thanks!

Thank you for your input too Rob! I have heard a great deal about those other eyepieces you mention and they do sound great. I am after a slightly wide field high magnification for planets though. I know this does cost more however I'm just looking for the best buy for my budget. I will definitely look at the Explore scientific and Meade and what everyone else has mentioned, thank you everyone :)

Hi Ed - thank you for the advice. I just took a look at those Hyperions and they look great. Would you suggest maybe a Hyperion 24mm then for looking at something like the M31 or Orion nebula? Thanks!

I think M31 looks good at low power, and you should see M32 & M110 nearby, under a good sky medium power may let you glimpse the main dust lanes. I think M42 Orion Neb looks good at low power for an overall view, medium power for more contrast in the nebulosity, and high power when you may see up to six stars in the famous trapezium. So if you got the Hyperion 24 & 8mm, along with the 12mm BST already ordered, you would be covered for all that.

But please don't just go with what I've said without seeing what others say, plus online reviews.

All the best, Ed.

Thank's Ed that's great. I think that is really helpful information and it is good to be covered for everything. I will consider the Hyperion 24mm for sure - it looks like a very good eyepiece indeed. In my EP's that arrived with my scope one thing I have not managed to see is those amazing dust lanes! So with any luck that might be possible with an upgraded EP :)

Thank you to everyone that posted on my thread! You've all really helped with making future decisions around Christmas :)

Magic

Dust lanes? As in m31? It will all depend on how dark your skies are. From where I am, using a 10" dob, all I see is a little smudge. The darker the sky, the better it will be, I could use a £500 televue eyepiece and I would still only see a little grey smudge.

Post #9..........dust lanes ? As in M31 ? It will all depend on how dark your skies are.

Fully agree with that, but under a truly dark and transparent sky, M31's dust lanes can be glimpsed in a 6" scope, and with greater certainty with an 8".

Regards, Ed.

Just a note of caution. How fast is your scope? Baader Hyperions have a reputation for not faring well in the faster scopes. I've not tried one myself but that seems to be the general opinion.

The 150p is an f8 if I recall correctly so the Hyperions will perform well. The thing is though, others at half the price will perform equally well! I personally, with a £200 budget, would be looking at the BST Explorer/Starguider. I have owned most of the Hyperions and while they are a nice ep, imho they are overpriced in todays market.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=BST+explorer&_sacat=0&_from=R40

do you have a telrad? if not I'd buy that first in preference to eyepieces. you could get a Telrad plus http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/TeleVue_2x_Barlow_1_25__.html and a http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/TeleVue_15mm_Plossl_Eyepiece_1_25__.html#aEAP_2d15_2e0 for your £200 (with the 10% sale). IMHO this would provide superb views in your scope and with your 25mm provide 48x 80x 96x 120x 160x and 240x with your existing eyepieces. you can buy further eyepieces in time. the TV Plossls are as good as anything available including the wide field TVs, make no mistake.

I am slightly one track minded re TV but they really work well in everything and are in my opinion great value for money in the long run.

The 150p is an f8 if I recall correctly so the Hyperions will perform well. The thing is though, others at half the price will perform equally well! I personally, with a £200 budget, would be looking at the BST Explorer/Starguider. I have owned most of the Hyperions and while they are a nice ep, imho they are overpriced in todays market.

http://www.ebay.co.u...cat=0&_from=R40

If it is an f8 the Hyperions will be good lenses. Thought I'd better mention it though, just in case. My SW 150p is a relatively fast f5

If it is an f8 the Hyperions will be good lenses. Thought I'd better mention it though, just in case. My SW 150p is a relatively fast f5

In that case, the BST Explorers/StarGuiders are the answer, as they perform well at f/5,or, have you considered Explore Scientific 82 degree? Considerably cheaper than the TV's for similar performance, well worth investigating.

In that case, the BST Explorers/StarGuiders are the answer, as they perform well at f/5,or, have you considered Explore Scientific 82 degree? Considerably cheaper than the TV's for similar performance, well worth investigating.

Good advice :grin:

Post #9..........dust lanes ? As in M31 ? It will all depend on how dark your skies are.

Fully agree with that, but under a truly dark and transparent sky, M31's dust lanes can be glimpsed in a 6" scope, and with greater certainty with an 8".

Regards, Ed.

Absolutely!

I've never considered my back garden that dark, but I can see the main dust lane through my 8" on a good (as opposed to an excellent) night.

Cheers

Absolutely!

I've never considered my back garden that dark, but I can see the main dust lane through my 8" on a good (as opposed to an excellent) night.

Cheers

:Envy: My sky is pretty orange and my scope is a 6 inch and all I can make out is a light hazy blur and sometimes a a central bright point but no dust lane for me :embarrassed:

Archived