SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eye piece upgrade ,what do i need?

Any particular Skywatcher ?

As ever depends on budget per eyepiece. Assuming Not TV Ethos territory and not budget Plossl territory that leave the BST Starguiders (~£47) and the Celestron X-Cel's (~£69).

Both good, the Celestrons have the advantage of smaller focal length ones if you wanted to push the magnification. The BST's have the advantage that the complete set costs less if you later added to whatever Santa brings.

Ay, BSTs and X-Cel LX come highly recommended.

I'd personally get:

a reasonably high magnification (x140 to x160) for viewing Jupiter, Saturn, Lunar craters, resolving easier binaries.

a medium EP for (x80 to x120) small open clusters, some brighter galaxies etc.

and a low power EP (x40 to x80) for faint nebula, star fields, open clusters etc.

this thread is very good

personally, if I had a new scope and was starting out then a Telrad would be top of my list then a right angle correct image finder, star map and observing seat. I would then start thinking about eyepieces. if you cannot find the objects you seek then having the best eyepieces in the world will not show you anything.

My experience backs 100% what moonshane says above. By the way the biggest single improvement to our viewing was getting seated ( if you don't have something suitable already drum / ironing stools from e-bay / amazon are a cheap solution.)

the biggest single improvement to our viewing was getting seated ( if you don't have something suitable already drum / ironing stools from e-bay / amazon are a cheap solution.)

Marvelous, I was looking for something just like this! Thanks Eastridge :angel8:

A Skywatcher 7 - 21mm zoom eyepiece would be a good starting point. Has 7, 9, 11, 15 and 21 options. This will give you some idea of how often you are likely to be able to use the various magnifications. You can then decide whether you want to buy any of the more expensive single eyepieces.

Archived