NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moisture inside a Baader Hyperion

DaveGarland

Has anyone had problems with moisture inside the above eyepiece? It seems it starts to build up within about ten minutes of getting out and it's s monster to get out. It seems to be between the lenses so I can't just blow it off with a dryer. Is there a way of taking it apart without damaging it?

Help please!

Dave.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dif you buy this new or second hand, not sure if this may be covered by the warranty. If not i would defiantly do what peter suggested.

I really wouldn't try taking it apart, i remember somebody doing it a couple of years ago, and ruined the ep as they couldnt remember what sequence they went back in.

Keiran

As Peter says - put it in a sealed (Jam jar) container with silica Gel for a few days. You will find sachets of gel in some electrical goods etc - usually a paper sachet with "Do not eat" written on them!! :eek: . If you buy some you may need to buy far more than you need. To regenerate it (if it is used or old) put it in a warm oven for a while and that will drive off any water that it has already absorbed.

Well the one good thing is Hyperions are made to be taken apart by all. Not something I would like to do that often though. I guess the water build up is the result of temperature imbalance with in the eyepiece, maybe you are keeping it in too warm a place within the house. I don't find I get these type of problems with the air here being dry most of the time.

I bet it is a pain though I have no idea what you can do to stop it.

Alan.

Nope, I can't get it apart! Well not without unnecessary force. Where does it unscrew? I can't get the 1.25 end off but the mist is in the bigger lenses. Tbh it's completely clear at room temperature so hopefully the silica method has sorted it but I guess I won't really know until I get out again (not likely at the mo!).

Stupid iPad sent before I'd finished >:-/ Also it has auto corrected can to cant before the 1.25 eyepiece bit. Anyway I'm hoping I won't need to take it apart but if I should, do all the lenses just collapse out when it's apart or are they held in internally somehow??

Dave.

I do not have any Hyperions but these are made to have fine tuning ring put into them so one can change the focal length of the eyepieces, something I would not do myself, so they must come undone. All the eyepieces I have ever taken apart have spacers, these a very important. I would not try this if you are not confident of what to do. Going back to a pervious members comments, if you bought it new take it back to the shop or at contact them with your problem.

Alan.

the 1.25 bit should defo come off with firm but not undue pressure - it does on mine to allow the FTR's to be added. You need to unscrew the 1.25 end which has a screw thread into the 2" part. Then act as above to dry it out.

First thing you should do is contact Baader. I have one of these zooms and I'm aware that some parts are removable, but I certainly wouldn't attempt dismantling the whole thing.

Establish where the moisture is. If it's inside a removable part then the problem is solved - remove it and let the moisture evaporate. If it's in a sealed part then see about sending it to Baader for repair.

I very much doubt that silica gel or gentle warming will help. Once moisture creeps inside a sealed unit it's very hard to get it out again. But those are obvious things to try since they won't damage the eyepiece.

Strange that it should have got inside in the first place. Did it get rained on?

Not come across that before with the Baader, I have it in a PanaView though, I will be interested in any responses.

Mine used to fog up. I thought the condensation may be in part due to crud between the elements. Holding it up to a bright light source, showed all manner of muck and fluff in there, so I decided to crack it open for a good clean.

If you unscrew the 2" nosepiece, the optical elements slide out in a complete stack with their metal spacers. The body of the Panaview is nothing more than a straight tube with the eyecup attached. There are no rubber seals what-so-ever, so it's no wonder crud gets in there, which is a point worth noting for those who use pockets to keep EPs warm.

I used two generous microfibre cloths and Baader Wonderfluid. One cloth to clean, the other for handling. There's little risk as long as you have a steady hand and work methodically. Keeping the elements the right way up at all points in the process, plus cleaning the bottom element first with the top last allows you to re-assemble the element stack the right way up, so the EP body can just be slid down the stack into place. Invert the EP, give a gentle shake and the elements and spacers settle into place. Reinsert nosepiece, to the point where the element just stop rattling and back it off a fraction of a turn.

Good luck to the Hyperion owners as they sound more complex. :sad:

Russell

Archived