Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The driest summer since 1976!

DaveGarland

Does anyone remember way back in about March when the "forecasters" were predicting the driest summer since 1976? And we were to ration water or face hosepipe bans? Well I don't know about you but personally I was looking forward to a nice long run of warm weather and clear skies. But of course we all know how it really went. I thought I'd post a few pictures of my hometown, Bradley Stoke for you all to see how we've been effected by the terrible "drought".

post-15373-13535312703_thumb.jpg

post-15373-135353129491_thumb.jpg

post-15373-135353132228_thumb.jpg

post-15373-135353134763_thumb.jpg

Do any of you have pictures to share of your area in this awful drought?

There used to be a little Kingfisher on that trail, i doubt the water is shallow enough for him this year....shame!

I used to live in Filton, Wades Road, and work up in Woodlands Lane. have moved around a fair bit since those days and i am currently in Lovely Henbury.

These photos are certainly horrific for the people involved. Luckily although we catch the strong winds when they blow we are high up here on top of a hill and it would take over 60m rise of sea levels to make us beach side property. My only experience of floods was returning back from Wales a few years ago with the cars on the south lane of the M5 totally jammed and a rescue helicopter flying overhead. As we drove north the floods were developing and it was a hairy time. I also remember rocks washed across a road in Monmouth and later Hereford and Worcester Radio reporting that a caravan had got stuck under a bridge at Evesham.

Regards,

Steve

Have sympathy for people flooded, although it does highlight the foolishness of developers and councils who have built on flood plains..did they not consider the word FLOOD a bit of a clue??

Here in Swindon the roads have been awash several times, I am near J16 of the M4, but i would not call it flooding by any stretch of the imagination. The only flooding i have experienced here in the UK was when i was married before and we had a House on Westcliffe Parade in Southend...I came home from a rather taxing day to be stopped near the bottom of the hill by a Policeman who said I could not go any further due to flooding..I explained I lived on the parade and that I would walk down...thankfully the main house was fine as it was raised up a little, but the basement was under about 6ft of sea water..killed the boilers in the basement, but thankfully anything of any value was actually out the back in the garages and these had been spared all but minimal amounts of water due to the way the land rose up...can't say I would want to experience it in the house itself..

Archived