NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar observing through a plant pot?

nephilim

Hopefully I'll have caught the attention of someone who can give a bit of advice? Having found out (Thanks to the forum) the purpose of the small capped hole on my scopes dust cap ( to attach solar film) I'v bought some Baader solar film :cool: and I'm wondering which method of attatching it would be best. A) tape it underneath the small hole & obsrve through that OR, B) put it over the full aperture of my scope (5.1" Sky-watcher ) using a plant pot as a make shift sleeve (obviously with the base cut out :smiley: . What difference would the quality be between the 2? Thanks for reading!

To my knowledge it would have very little if any affect on observing Sun either way, it just depends if you want use the full aperture of your scope. If you make a full aperture filter using a plant pot (there are loads of guides kicking about online) you won't really need to use the scopes cap. On the other hand if you can't be bothered to make the full filter then just stick some filter inside you cap, it goes without saying that either way you choose, make sure that the filter is held in place securely and has no way of slipping off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

If you have enough for both, go for it.

The reason I suggest going for the full aperture is that resolution is (partly) a function of aperture and I read somewhere recently that once you get over 120mm or so of aperture you stand a chance of getting granulation detail.

James

I took the high-tech approach to fitting solar film to my ST80 :D On a good day I can see surface granulation even with 50mm of aperture. I normally also use a wrap of masking tape to secure the dust cap to the tube :icon_salut:

gallery_18573_1953_1338790557_17081.jpg

Archived