NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

An Expensive Look

Naemeth

I was very lucky tonight in that I got to go to the Seething Observatory (Norwich Astronomical Society) as part of my Astrophysics module in Uni, and there happened to be a very small break in the clouds. Skies were amazingly dark, the Andromeda Galaxy was even visible with the naked eye. Had the sky been completely clear, there would have been a lot more on show, but unfortunately, this wasn't the case. So we all had a glimpse at Jupiter with their Meade LX200 ACF 14" Telescope, and it was stunning, even at low power, Jupiter was clear, bands were easy to spot, Moons were easily visible and it was big, bigger than I was expecting. I'm used to seeing Jupiter about the size of a pea, maybe a large pea, but still a pea at low power. This was about double the size, with more detail than I can get at the same size with my highest magnification (not surprising really), it was amazing! I didn't get long at the eyepiece, but I can't, and won't get that view out of my head for a while.

No idea on the eyepiece by the way :angel:, should have asked.

How on Earth can I go back to a 5.1" now?

And that, Doctor, is when my aperture fever started...

James

I think I'm just sincerely lucky that: a) there were clouds B) I didn't have long at the eyepiece c) it was a low power view d) I didn't see green and black.

Still, one look is all it takes...

I do sympathise :smiley:

At one of the SGL star parties I had a look through a 20" dobsonian at M51 and M13. Those views are still with me even though a scope of that size would be totally impractical for me :undecided:

I keep eyeing the 22" dob thats for sale on UK Astro Buy & Sell but fortunately the lack of £2K disposable cash is acting as an effective brake at the moment.

The down side to looking through big scopes under dark skies is when you have to come back to your own set up. Whenever I get back from kielder I look up at the sky from my back garden and think is there any point? Of course that wears off and I soon get used to the orange sky again.

Which Uni ?

There is no physics of any sort at UEA, the school was disbanded/closed down some 10-12 years ago, and there was no astrophysics back there then

UEA, there isn't a school of physics or anything, but there is a module of Astrophysics, which I believe has been running for around about 6 or so years. My degree is actually a Music degree (BA Hons), but I chose Astrophysics as an extra.

Cath, Astro Imp, and Bish, I agree with you all!

I'd have loved to take my Heritage along, but that would have spoiled things more, because I would have seen so much more with the same scope, only to be disappointed when I observe with it back home.

sounds like a great scope. how can you tell it was at low power if you don't know which eyepiece? maybe the power was higher than you thought and the view better resolved due to aperture? a 14" SCT has a focal length of 3.5m so even a 41mm Panoptic would yield 85x.

sounds like a great scope. how can you tell it was at low power if you don't know which eyepiece? maybe the power was higher than you thought and the view better resolved due to aperture? a 14" SCT has a focal length of 3.5m so even a 41mm Panoptic would yield 85x.

One of the members (who was showing us around) said it was low power :). But I don't know how low power it may have been, as you say, even a 26mm gives 136.7x (and to be honest, Stellarium ocular at 136.7x with the Meade is in line with what I saw, but considering it's an F/10, 136x is low power.

Archived