Laser pointer advice.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a similar looking one for pointing out things to family,friends and neighbours. It works brilliantly,BUT it does not like the cold. The batteries die very quickly on cold nights but can be quickly revived by placing the pointer under your arm for a couple of mins. Mine is a 5Mw which i bought from Telescope House for £30. I was at my first star party recently and they had a 30Mw laser pointer.

It was like a light sabre from star wars. You cant buy them legally that strong in the UK or Ireland unless you prove that you need it for educational purposes.

I recently bought this laser http://www.laserpointerpro.com/150mw-532nm-flashlight-style-510b-type-green-laser-pointer-pen-with-16340-battery-p-470.html . Very well made, powerful and the price is `t to high.You will need to get as well rechargeable batteries and charger,coat all together 12.50£. And there`s a lot of other options, have a look maybe you will find something right for you http://www.laserpointerpro.com/ .

Good luck.

I got one years ago from www.digitaldaffodil.com it is 50mw and it's completely OTT. It looks like just the average 1mw tube but once u press the button it's like a never ending bright green rope! great tool for tiring the cat out! Lol

Powerful enough to set light to your clothes or matches? I think Paul's right and officially there's a 5mW limit in UK (I believe that's mili, not Mega!) and have heard a few possibly exaggerated reports of pilots being dazzled.

Is 5mW sufficient for general pointing use or do I need to flout the law with the James Bond killer death ray?

As long as I keep it warm between uses, I actually find my laser pointer quite useful - I hold it against the base of the focuser on the OTA of my dob and swing the whole lot towards the object or general area I want to look at. It's a great way of easily getting the scope pointed to the right part of the sky before hunching over the finder. especially if my telrad has dewed up!

The law won't know the difference between a 200mw and a 5mw, there both more then bright enough to point at a DSO or map a constilation.

They will because the power is marked on them. And I find a 5mW doesn´t cut the mustard - when my astronomy group meet it is always my 50mW that is in demand as a pointer.

I always have a laser pointer mounted on my scope. I can then aim it at my target object, get that easily in my finderscope while standing upright, without straining my poor back. I have a couple of 50mW and a light sabre 300mW. I keep the business end warm in winter with the wife´s hairdryer - yet another use for that very handy accessory. And lithium batteries are a must!

The law won't know the difference between a 200mw and a 5mw, there both more then bright enough to point at a DSO or map a constilation.

Until you are caught. Apparently powerful laser pointers can be classified as firearms. I think 5mW is a legal limit without a licence.

FYI, here is a link to the retina scan of a Chinese amateur astronomer who accidentally caught a 50mW laser beam in his eye. He was blinded in the area hit by that beam.

http://www.hkastrofo...danger2_435.jpg

http://www.hkastrofo...pic.php?t=18003

Laser pointers are dangerous, especially high power ones. It's crazy the government and police don't enforce the law and remove those dangerous laser pointers from the market. In most cases when someone get stab, they can be patched up in hospital. However, when someone get blinded by a high power laser pointer, that is it, he will be blinded for life.

Of course, the beam itself is completely invisible. It is reflection from water droplets and dust in the atmosphere that enables you to see where it is pointing. In Spanish skies I find 5 mW is not enough, and there was a night about a month ago when the beam from my 50 mW was totally invisible!! If you have enough crud in the Bournemouth atmosphere a feeble 1 mW can obviously work, but it definitely won´t do the business here.

Apparently powerful laser pointers can be classified as firearms. I think 5mW is a legal limit without a licence.

Laser pointers are dangerous, especially high power ones. It's crazy the government and police don't enforce the law and remove those dangerous laser pointers from the market.

Firearms in the UK are defined as a ´lethal barreled weapon´. So I think that comment is a work of fiction. A licence? Is there one? Some years ago I was working with VERY high powered lasers used in nuclear fusion research at an establishment that doesn´t appear on any maps - I don´t ever remember any licence of any kind. It is only laser pointers that you are going to hold and wave about with an audience present that are actually limited to 1 (not 5 - that is in the US) mW. A laser incorporated into a piece of scientific equipment (like your telescope setup?) is subject to no such regulation. So the law in the UK is very vague on the whole subject.

Here in Spain? Well the corrupt cops are only interested in ripping off motorists. Who cares about lasers?

I've found a laser pen very good for pointing out stuff in the sky to help newbies get orientated, and engaging groups who just want to know what on Earth we are looking at through our telescopes. So long as you're not doing it on the end of a runway or in a flight path you should be fine lol.

I've also used it for pointing the scope in the way described above to get in the general area of interest. Just be careful not to accidentally point at an aircraft - people have been fined or imprisoned for causing a serious hazard that way. :)

From what I've read in term of law, as long as used on private land then shouldn't have an issue, also not use for malicious purpose either way.

From personal point if view wouldn't use above 5mw due to danger to myself and others.

In another article read your natural eye reflex should be sufficient to protect from momentary flash past eyes up to 5mw, any more powerful and risk to sight.

Are they illegal due to the 'Firearm' law or because of the incidents where they have caused planes, helicopters etc. to get into difficulty, even by accident? From the media I thought it was the later but the discussion above relates to Firearms law. ??

I think if everybody is sensible about lasers, not to use them on aircraft flight paths, or when they can be heard flying about, or navigation lights can be seen in the sky, and certainly not near any Airports, then there would seem to be no problem. they are very useful at public star events, so long as if there is more than one in use, the beams do not cross, one granny and two kids went missing for an hour the last time that happened :eek: at one of our events lol. I have always intend to mount the one I have on my scope mount and I have recently come across a very reasonably priced well made mounting, sold by Skies The Limit, I think they are called, a nice all metal two ring construction with adjustment screws affixed to a short bar and mounted atop a quite tall, solid rectangular pillar, a third ring is included with a knurled top screw, for switching on those lasers which have push button operation. The whole is manufactured to fit Vixen/Celestron/ Sky-Watcher dovetails I believe :)

John.

Archived