NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cocoon - more data

perfrej

Good Morning!

I am still collecting on this one so there will be an update. Current version - and I am still testing different processing approaches - comprises:

18 x 10m + 8 x 5m of L

5 x 10m + 7 x 5m of R

6 x 10m + 6 x 5m of G

5 x 10m + 6 x 5m of B

I have 29 x 10m of Ha that has not yet been added to the image. Tonight I'm going for some more depth to see what is lurking in the faint nebulosity that is beginning to show.

As usual, EdgeHD 925 with 0.62 Lepus reducer, Baader filters in SX wheel, SBIG ST-8300M, 10Micron GM2000HPS, all subs unguided.

Capture with CCD AP/Maxim/Pinpoint/Focusmax, processing in Neb3, PI and some tweaks in PS.

/per

Full res jpg: http://filer.frejvall.se/Coc_LRGB-2.jpg

Coc_LRGB-2-1024.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments (blushing here)!

I totally accept that we all have different opinions about the amount of color in a DS image. I must point out, however, that most monitors are a little rich in color. I use a color calibrated H-IPS screen and in my view the colors are about right. But again, personal opinion matters ;)

We have a clear spell tonight so the stuff started imaging at 17.30 while I was a an exclusive cars fair - love the automation. Tonight's catch is Luminance bin 1x1 at 20 minutes unguided at focal length 1460 and RGB bin 2x2 at 10 minutes unguided. I have checked the first batch of L frames and they do show round stars! Yes!

We'll se if the extra data will lure out the faint brown luminosity that is just beginning to show in the present version.

Please note that I have changed the images in this post to reflect a not so agressive crop of the low res version and a Hasta La Vista Green run of them in order to remove a faint green tint as pointed out by a viewer at another forum.

Once again, thanks for the kind words!

/per

Thanks for the kind comments (blushing here)!

I totally accept that we all have different opinions about the amount of color in a DS image. I must point out, however, that most monitors are a little rich in color. I use a color calibrated H-IPS screen and in my view the colors are about right. But again, personal opinion matters ;)

We have a clear spell tonight so the stuff started imaging at 17.30 while I was a an exclusive cars fair - love the automation. Tonight's catch is Luminance bin 1x1 at 20 minutes unguided at focal length 1460 and RGB bin 2x2 at 10 minutes unguided. I have checked the first batch of L frames and they do show round stars! Yes!

We'll se if the extra data will lure out the faint brown luminosity that is just beginning to show in the present version.

Please note that I have changed the images in this post to reflect a not so agressive crop of the low res version and a Hasta La Vista Green run of them in order to remove a faint green tint as pointed out by a viewer at another forum.

Once again, thanks for the kind words!

/per

Looks ok on my monitor too.. Dell 24" UltraSharp 2407FP

The 20-minute subs went OK. I ditched two due to wind shake :lipsrsealed: I am very pleased with that considering that focal length is 0.62x2350 = 1457 mm, almost a meter and a half.

I'm letting this go now. Grand total is:

L: 8x5m, 15x10m, 12x20m (all 1x1)

R: 7x5m, 5x10m, 3x10 (last 2x2)

G: 6x5m, 6x10m, 6x10m (last 2x2)

B: 6x5m, 5x10m, 6x10m (last 2x2)

I got some more nebulosity out of it, but I'm going to give up now. The one at the top of the thread is most pleasing to the eye, this one has more "stuff" in it ;-)

Next, I am putting the Tak on with Jonas Grinde's reducer that takes it to 387mm FL anf f/3.65. I'll go for "some nebulae" :tongue:

And about monitors... Yes Coco, it looks fine on mine as well, and if someone finds it a bit too colorful and still has a good monitor, then I respect that opinion to 100 per cent, that's for shure. This hobby is all in the eye of the beholder, sort of.

/per

Higher res at: http://filer.frejvall.se/LRGB-All-2.jpg

LRGB-All-2-1024.jpg

I agree about the stars looking better in the first. Given the low signal of the neb itself it is difficult to protect the stars. The second version has 12x20m L added which kind of blew the stars away ;) I was aiming for the faint nebulosity and got some of it at the expense of the stars. Can't win 'em all ;)

Yeah, the mount is great - and no fiddling with 100-star models living outside of the mount like ASA/Autoslew. I am waiting for the little brother (GM1000HPS) to arrive and am curious as to its performance. They say it's the same, and if it is, I will be a happy and very content man!

/per

The colour is fine chez moi. Certainly not over done. One of my touchstone renditions is this one by Rob. http://www.middlehillobservatory.co.uk/IMAGES/Full%20size%20pics/Cocoon%20neb-June-aug09-Ha-HaRGB.jpg

Good result, Per. Very nice indeed. As for unguided, well... for once in my life I have nothing to say!!!!! (But don't expect it to last. :grin: )

Olly

Archived