Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Im just new here and i think I'm into stargazing already but the thing is i dont know anything about it can anyone help me??

husby

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum. John above has provided a good overview and some great advice. Ultimately there isn't any rush as the stars aren't going anywhere and researching here is as good a place to start in accessing the right advice.

Clear skies for now

James

If your absolutely dying for a telescope then I can recommend the Sky-Watcher Mercury707, which was my first telescope.

It's your basic 70mm refractor on an altazimuth mounting that can be disassembled easily for storage. It was with this scope (plus solar filter) that I saw the transit of Venus. You don't have to worry about cool down times or collimation and it's suitable for basic afocal astrophotography of the moon and sun. You can't be reckless with it though because the mounting isn't the strongest (but it can be easily repaired if it does brake and if you take good care of it then it won't brake at all)

I would get a few more opinions before making the final decision though.

P.S Welcome to SGL!

At least your asking for advice on what to buy unlike I, who just went out and bought one. Well it was a charity event and I had had a couple of drinks. (the couple of what I wont tell you). :grin:

welcome to the forums, great freindly place....

Archived