Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Repeated long exposures

stevear

How can I set my Canon 500D to take a series of, for example, 10 x 120 second exposures automatically. Does the canon DSLR have this function? I am using a cable release, with the DSLR set on 'M', bulb, 2 second delay, raw etc but cannot see how to set up repeated 2 minute exposures. Can anyone help?

Ah.... Is it a Programmable shutter release? Mine lets you set 4 things: initial delay, length of exposure, duration before next exposure, and number of repeats. From what you write I suspect yours doesn't do that.

You can buy a programmable shutter release for about 20 or 30 euros.

+1 for a programmable timer, like you I used to use just a basic trigger release which relies on you being outside the whole time. it was great once I got the programmable one I could pop in for a brew and warm up a bit.

The alternative if you have a laptop is to plug the camera into the laptop and use AstroPhotography Tool (APT) or Backyard EOS (BYE). One of the really big benefits is that you can display the camera live view on the laptop screen which really helps with framing (and focus on images where the target is visible). They have lots of other features besides.

James

I have one of these for my 1100D they are excellent value , my setting are iso 800, delay between exposures 20 seconds, then what ever length you want the image to be, and how many images while you go for a cuppa tea.... so simple..... :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Timer-Remote-switch-Pentax-RS-60E3/dp/B001C6JYSA/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1352676783&sr=8-15

Check out magic lantern, it works liek a dream on my 550d. It runs on the 500d as well.

With that installed you can easily program it to do several shots with a specific bulb timer - and you need nothing but pushing the buttons on the camera. No computer or remote trigger or anything is needed.

Also, finding and framing target gets a LOT easier when live-view suddenly can boost exposure to several sec instead of maxium 1/30 sec. Can easily see the andromeda galaxy with live-view for example. :)

On another subject, I guide with a Lodestar autoguider, I have a 5 metre cable extension and when attached to the Lodestar, making 8 metres of cable in all, my laptop sometimes will not see the device (Lodestar). With any longer cables it never sees the Lodestar. Is there anything that can be done to run the Lodestar with these cable extensions?

Archived