Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Binoculars

Steve at FLO clearly knows his binoculars and will give good advice. The very cheap ones can be remarkably good but are highly variable so they can also be useless. Daytime testing, unfotunately, is not all that much of a guide to performance on the stars. Although lots of others must exist, I've only tried 2 pairs of bins which could give a clean round disk on Jupiter. They were both mind bogglingly expensive. As ever with optics, an increase in spending of 10 times gives what, a 10% increase in quality?

Olly

Edit, I just went to Tenenterre's site from the link above. It really is good.

+1 another Revelation 15x70 owner, great bins, great price and very good performers all for around £55 of your earth pounds. Never used a tripod with them, so I just wedge them against something for stability, garden wall, broom or just recline on a deck chair makes life a little easier. Doing all this, you will probably still need a tripod to get the best out of your viewing time with them.

I have just bought a Helios Quantum 4 25x100 I say I bought it, my wife actually bought it for me, as a xmas present, they should arrive tomorrow along with my tripod, they are relatively expensive but I have checked out a few pairs on ebay and they have some good buys

Ronnie

• 3 weeks later...

I have just bought a Helios Quantum 4 25x100 I say I bought it, my wife actually bought it for me, as a xmas present, they should arrive tomorrow along with my tripod, they are relatively expensive but I have checked out a few pairs on ebay and they have some good buys

Ronnie

In the unlikely event of your ever tiring of this wife of yours... :grin:

Olly

Archived