Binoculars for Beginners?

Hi, apologies if you've already covered this topic (and a point in that direction if so appreciated!).

I'm looking to get a pair of decent binoculars for some amateur stargazing. I read on this site about Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, would you recommend these are best? But then I found the 25x70 Porro Prism which seems to be a bit stronger at a comparable price online.

Could anyone make some recommendations about these two models or anything else I should be considering? I think I'll buy an astronomy for dummies book to go along with ;) Thank you!!

Go with the 15x70's at least you can use these hand held ( sort of ) . 25x is way to much magnification to hold by hand , I know this as I have a pair of 25x100 Zumhells and its impossible to hold them steady enough to see anything .

Here ia a photo of my 25x binos mounted , great views this way if you decide to go this path , but they need a solid mount and tripod.

Enjoy , as I do if this is waht you want .

Brian.

post-18525-0-46839100-1352288689_thumb.j

Thanks very much! I was thinking of getting a tripod to go with as it seems more sensible. So would it be worth investing a little more for the 15x70s then? I'm not saying I wouldn't consider the 10x50s but I wouldn't want to get something I'd have to replace sooner rather than later...

Thanks very much! I was thinking of getting a tripod to go with as it seems more sensible. So would it be worth investing a little more for the 15x70s then? I'm not saying I wouldn't consider the 10x50s but I wouldn't want to get something I'd have to replace sooner rather than later...

You say you dont want to have to replace it sooner than later, but are you planning to buy a telescope in the future? That is sort of replacing the binos. I have a SW200p scope, but still have a pair of 10 x 50s that i use on their own, and sometimes while i have the scope set up.

I don't know if a telescope is really practical. I read another link here that said for amateurs binoculars are the better first buy and add to that, I live in a big light polluted city and don't get out of it enough to justify a telescope right now. This is why I'm trying to be cost effective in getting a good set of binoculars! Thanks!

I started with a pair of 15x70 Revelation Astro binoculars, i think i got them for about £45. I love them, have seen Jupiter and 4 moons with them also Andromeda galaxy as a faint fuzzy as well as some open clusters, M44 Beehive cluster and the pleiades look especially good with them as does the moon. They come on holiday with me as my scope is too big with all the other holiday bits in the boot. I recommend a tripod for astro gazing as it does get a bit wobbly when looking straight up. The bins are also great when at the sea side for looking out at sea at those distant ships on the horizon, had lots of fun doing that.

Hello Kooples!

I started off with a lake of 15x70's and recently got a SW200P. The 15x70's still get used to this day! Holding isn't too bad when you get used to them. You can sort of hold them towards the front so they're easier to handle and be able to control the focus at the same time.

I'd go with the 15x70's. See if the shop will let you handle both of them because in the end, it's your decision :D

Enjoy whatever you get as I'm sure you will!

Tom.

I would prefer to start with a decent pair of 10x50s. These are much easier to hold steadily. When you decide to get something bigger, like 15x70s, you will still find use for them/

I totally agree. Big bins (15x70+) can be somewhat expensive and you need to also buy a tripod to mount them on. As a beginner, you will get so much joy out of a pair of 10X50 bins. They need no tripod and really give pleasing views. If you then decide to go bigger..............you will always use the 10x50 bins also on nights when you just want to relax and take in the universe without having to set them on a tripod.

I totally agree. Big bins (15x+) can be expensive and you need to also buy a tripod to mount them on. As a beginner, you will get so much joy out of a pair of 10X50 bins. They need no tripod and really give pleasing views. If you then decide to go bigger..............you will always use the 10x50 bins also on nights when you just want to relax and take in the universe without having to set them on a tripod.

The basic Revelation/Celestron/Omegon 15x70 are not expensive. I had a pair for quite a while and enjoyed them a lot (enough to justify the quite major outlay of the Helios Apollo I have now). You could argue that a more expensive 10x50 will show a better image than a cheap 15x70.

I have always found it impossible to hold binoculars steady enough for my satisfaction, so when I got a 12 x 50 Practika the first thing I did was to get a mirror mount. No need to lie on your back, crick your neck or whatever. And I could see the moons of Jupiter. In fact the first thing that I looked at was the Orion nebula through the window at 5 am!

The basic Revelation/Celestron/Omegon 15x70 are not expensive. I had a pair for quite a while and enjoyed them a lot (enough to justify the quite major outlay of the Helios Apollo I have now). You could argue that a more expensive 10x50 will show a better image than a cheap 15x70.

I didnt mean the 15x70 are expensive. Pretty cheap really. Anything above that, such as 20x90 can and do cost a fair penny because you need to include a good tripod also.

My 20X90 Strathspey bins and a Horizon 8115 tripod cost me the guts of 400 euros (£320). This didnt include shipping from the UK (about 30 euros more).

My point is that as a beginner.....................you really dont need to spend big cash on big bins when a pair of 10X50 will be more than enough and open up the wonders of the night sky to you, and you will treasure those 10X50 all of your life even if you buy bigger in the future.

Archived