Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what to use for DSO imaging

xarcane

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An ED80 refractor is very much a standard in many people's imaging rig. It's a good value scope, coupled with the small focal length, it places far less stress on your guiding as well, all in all making a more enjoyable and less frustrating experience.

If you get an undermounted setup, you WILL end up throwing a load of your subs away. In fact, this morning I have read just that on a thread about an 200P and an EQ5. While the conditions are good (ie no wind at all) then the subs roll in. The faintest whiff of a breeze and they start going in the bin. Good advice about budgeting for an NEQ6 and also about buying Steve's book.

I would just like to add that you may already have realised that astro photography is far from cheap. It can be done on a budget, but there are people posting on here that have tried that route and realise that it is not the most satisfying way to go. You guys have some pretty pants weather at the best of times, and while budget astro photography can be done, you need to think about what you want to achieve and how. If you are looking in the imaging section and see the most wonderful images posted by some excellent imagers and you want a slice of that further down the line, then take a deep breath and accept that you are going to spend a small fortune on kit. In many cases these guys spend more on a mount than many spend on a car.

I think that sometimes I probably come across as a bit of a Negative Nancy when I type these replies every so often. But I think I'm just being a realist. If imagers could produce images with a 200P and an EQ5 for example to a fantastically high standard, then we'd all be doing it. Give yourself a fighting chance in an extremely testing and frustrating hobby at times and get the right kit from the onset.

Also, don't forget to factor in the processing bit. In comparison to the processing I think that data capture ( the bit we are talking about here) is the easy part. I can easily spend upwards of 10 hours simply processing (trying in my case!!) to process an image and still not have it anywhere near the quality that I want.

I agree, but not entirely. Throwing thousands at a brand new hobby is ok if you can really afford to, but I'm in the camp that likes to test the water and build slowly. There is so much to learn when it comes to astrophotography that starting simple can be a good approach. Expecting to produce top class images from the word go seems like it could lead to frustratiion. Of course, if I was loaded I would probably completely ignore that advice and only buy top end kit! :)

Archived