Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Guiding Set Up - First Light

moondog

As mentioned in my post on the Members Equipment gallery, I've got a new set up.

This is a Skywatcher ED 80 imaging scope, an ST80 guide scope and a QHY5 guide camera.

The scopes sit on a TS duo mounting bar on an HEQ5 mount. I'm using PHD guiding software.

Last night was clear in patches so I set up and connected the USB camera cable to the laptop and the ST4 guide cable to the mount. Roughly Polar Aligned mount.

Turned the scope on Altair and fired up PHD on the laptop. Focussed the guide scope and found a faint guide star. Clicked on it and PHD started tracking the star. Pressed the 'target' icon in PHD and it started to guide the scope. Went inside for 15 minutes. When I came out PHD was still guiding the scope.

As a check I connected the DSLR at prime focus, swung to M27 and took a single 5 minute image. No darks, flats or bias.

When I carefully looked at the downloaded image there wasn't any trailing. I attach this image. I only stretched it in PS and did a bit of background smoothing. Didn't touch the star sizes or shapes.

1555_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Full Frame image

1556_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Enlarged bit around bright star above M27

In the corners of the full frame the stars are radially elongated a bit. This is scope coma (I think). To get rid of this I'd need a field flattener - but for the moment I'll crop future image a bit instead - it's cheaper.

MD

Archived