Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

North American Nebula - Cygnus Wall Narrowband

badgers

Hi All,

I was hoping to finish testing my Altair triplet by finishing my LRGB plans for the Cygnus Wall in the North American Nebula.

Sadly weather put the kibosh on these plans and as the moon is up again (first clear night in weeks) so I went all out narrowband for the first time.

I'll definitely be back for more data, but I'm happy with how it's coming so far.

I managed 80 minutes each on SII, Ha and OII before the clouds rolled in.

I managed to make a total mess of my flats.... it was cold and it was 2am and for some reason I set the shots to 10 seconds instead of 1 second and they were totally overexposed.

I might try the flats from my next narrowband session and see if they can help as I've locked the camera rotation.

Anyway, it's my first time trying the hubble palette so any advice appreciated. I'm not sure if I pushed these too far.....

The data is very Ha heavy so the combinations look quite green initially. This is using the H-alpha as a Luminance channel with 1:1:1 SII,Ha,OIII

8132351857_02a83dd926_b.jpg

I also had some nice Luminance data from my aborted LRGB attempt which adds a little bit of detail but also a lot of stars and more bloat.

8132376750_58dce64259_b.jpg

As a test I also tried the Bob Franke technique here:

8132354457_18257efdb9_b.jpg

8132352885_5a13d15018_b.jpg

Thanks for looking

Thanks people, I love my little refractor!

xgas, If you add images as attachments they'll always get thumb nailed I think. I use the image link button to link to either flickr or to my SGL gallery. that way you can choose the image size in advance.

Thanks guys,

The second pair look great on my monitor at work, but look overcooked on this laptop... I need to check my calibration!

I like the first pair, even though the green cast is down to the moon washing out the SII and OII a bit.

I guess it would be nice to capture RGB too and fix the star colour with that.

As for star bloat, I'm not long enough on refractors to know exactly how to deal with it yet, or whether the bloat I'm seeing is bad or not.

Anton

Been much the same here :( We had about an hour of mainly clear sky last night before all the clouds came back. I haven't had any decent imaging time for weeks and barely a couple of nights a month since May (I think). At least now with the "longer" nights if we do get a clear night there will be a nice lot of imaging time :D

Archived