NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ES or TV for a 6" inch FL750 F5 Newt

Uplooker

I would like to purchase a new EP to use in a SW 150P FL 750 F5 Newt.

I am looking at the Explore Scientific 82 deg 30mm or the Tele Vue 68 deg 27mm Panoptic.

I would be very interested in peoples opinions on why they would select one over the other.

I look forward to your responses.

regards,

Ian

Hi Ian, personally in a fast scope and for most sharp wide field, I'd always use Televue. I have never used a Pentax though or the ES. For me I'd go with the 27mm Panoptic. If you fancy a trip down to Manchester on a clear night, you'd be welcome to bring your scope and have a look through my eyepieces. I have a 26mm Nagler which is in the same field as the two mentioned.

The ES 82° 30mm is very nice indeed. I have never used the Pan 27mm but the 24mm and 19mm versions are great though, so I have no doubt the 27mm is just as good. Personally, I would go with the TV unless your skies are nice and dark. Up to 20mm FL I use Pentax XW and then for 30mm I have a Vixen LV 60° in a 2". It rarely gets used because of the light pollution I have at home but with the 750mm FL Newtonian I have never found myself wishing for a wider true field.

Thank you all for your replies,

Hi Uplooker, the ES 82* is a 2" EP, does your focusser take 2" EPs, as my 150mm 750mm FL focusser only takes 1.25" EPs

Barry

Yes, it does. I changed the stock focuser for a Revelation DS Crayford.

Is your priority maximum field of view or maximum quality of view Ian ?

Hi John,

I do want quality of view, as obvious as that sounds. But I think I really want maximum TFoV. With that in mind, it concerns me that the ES 30mm has a 6mm exit pupil as opposed to the TV exit pupil of 5.4mm

Hi Ian, personally in a fast scope and for most sharp wide field, I'd always use Televue. I have never used a Pentax though or the ES. For me I'd go with the 27mm Panoptic. If you fancy a trip down to Manchester on a clear night, you'd be welcome to bring your scope and have a look through my eyepieces. I have a 26mm Nagler which is in the same field as the two mentioned.

H Shane, thank you for your kind offer. I suspect I would / should go for the TV. I can not tell if it is me being snobby or elitest ( I do not current own any premium EPs, I would just like to start aquiring them!). I am aware of the overall quality of TV, but Explore Scientific are no slouches either. As i said above the 6mm exit pupl is the element about the ES that concerns me.

I am being realistic, I certainly can not at this moment in time afford to go for the likes of a TV Nagler or Ethos

At F5 I would choose the Televue. If you go for another scope at a later date that is bigger, it will most likely be the same type of scope but more aperture, which will most likely be faster, F 4.5 or thereabouts. This is where you will see short comings in the Ex Sc, I have used the Meade 30mm at F5.3 and it is very good but below F5.0 things go down hill fast in all but the very best.

The other thing to consider is the TeleVue Panoptic 27mm will hold it's value much better and will always be saleable the Ex Sc will be more difficult to sell and have a greater loss attached to it.

Alan.

Hi,

I have the ES 68 degree 24mm (i wanted to stick to 1.25 inch lenses as my filters are all 1.25 inch (I have the same scope which, yes is quite capable of taking either barrel size)).

It is a super EP with fine optics and nicely made too. I believe however that, if I could afford it, I would have gone for a Pentax XW first or a TV Nagler as a second choice

I thought I was about to push the button and purchase the 27mm Panoptic. After consideration, I am going to delay and save a bit more to get the 26mm Nagler. It is the TFoV that it will give that I like. It is a heck of a lot of £££s, but I reckon that I was going for the Panoptic because it was cheaper / more affordable. I will certainly keep an eye out for one coming up 2nd hand - i suspect that does not happen too often :sad:

Ian

Archived