Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Maksutov-Cassegrain - 4" or 5"

After the advice I've received on here, I've decided the scope for me is a second-hand 4" or 5" Mak (probably Celestron or Skywatcher)

I'd love to get a 5" Mak on a goto mount, but my budget won't stretch to that, so I think I'm going to have to settle for either a smaller Mak with a goto mount, or a bigger Mak OTA to use on my EQ3-2 mount that's not motorised. (I've only got around £150 - £200 to spend !!)

What I'd like to know is, would I notice much difference in the performance of the Mak's in these sizes and / or manufacturers ?

All advice / info greatly received.

Thanks

Kev

I'd go for the larger aperture mak on the eq3-2 mount. You can motorise it later at quite low cost and it will hold a 5" mak rock steady. I tend to feel that 4" is just a little too small for a compound scope like a mak or SCT and 1" is quite an aperture increase at this size. Well worth having.

What are you aiming to do with this scope ?

I'd go for the larger aperture mak on the eq3-2 mount. You can motorise it later at quite low cost and it will hold a 5" mak rock steady. I tend to feel that 4" is just a little too small for a compound scope like a mak or SCT and 1" is quite an aperture increase at this size. Well worth having.

What are you aiming to do with this scope ?

At the moment the moon and Jupiter would be my main targets, and when visible again Saturn. I've also got a Philips SPC900NC webcam that I'd like to use on the planets, but my attempts a couple of years ago didn't go too well !

Thanks for all the replies

I would also opt for the 127.

It is a great portable scope, scratch that...it is a great scope period. So good in fact that I rarely take the 8 inch LX200 out of the house.

If you don't have enough atm, then wait a bit save up, I am a sure a nice deal will come through on astrobuysell.

Another vote for the 5" here too. Regarding any noticeable difference in performance from the manufactures: both celestron the skywatcher Maks are identical optically just with different branding so there should be nothing in it.

Yup, chalk me up for the 5" as well. I have a Skywatcher 127 Mak on an aging EQ3-2 with aftermarket motors and it's bags of fun, especially when it comes to imaging. The aftermarket motors are very useful to have, and I made a polar scope illuminator for the mount and bodged a motorised focuser for the scope. I use it for full disc lunar and solar imaging with a Canon 450D and planetary imaging with an SPC900. It's also small enough to travel with, though a different mount might be easier (I usually put it on an AZ3 then, because that's what I happen to have). I also put the camera on the mount directly and use it for wide field imaging. If you search for some of my posts in the solar, lunar, wide field and planetary imaging sections you'll get an idea of what is possible, though others have achieved even better results than mine I think.

James

Thanks very much for all the replies. It's clear that size DOES matter, and a 5" scope is what I should go for (I'll never be able to afford a 6" - sorry joe_coke !)

Now to try and pick a good one up second-hand so my wife doesn't divorce me for spending more than I can afford......easier said than done !!

Now to try and pick a good one up second-hand so my wife doesn't divorce me for spending more than I can afford......easier said than done !!

There are a couple for sale on astro buy & sell at the moment writhing your price range. Just search for 'skymax' on their website.

Thanks for all your advice.

Just thought I'd let you all know I've managed to get myself a 4 month old Skywatcher Skymax 127 Synscan for £220 (a bit over budget but a bargain i think)

Not had chance to test it properly yet so just hoping it's okay (everything looks pristine / new condition so fingers crossed)

Thanks again

Kev

At the moment the moon and Jupiter would be my main targets, and when visible again Saturn. I've also got a Philips SPC900NC webcam that I'd like to use on the planets, but my attempts a couple of years ago didn't go too well !

Thanks for all the replies

If those are your priorities, then forget GOTO, you don't need it. Spend all your money on the optics!

Archived