Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How long did it take you...

Mansnake

My husband is buying me a joint Christmas and birthday present next month when he gets me a £500 Dob but I will have to save for extra bits and give up other stuff for parts. I want to buy an expensive heavyduty mount and that will have to be done saving little and often strictly over a year I reckon.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first scope cost £45 so wasn't too difficult to fund. Since then I've owned 25+ scopes and dozens of eyepieces with 95% being bought used and then sold on to fund the next steps. I've never bought anything on credit, apart from our house, in my life and I'm not going to start with astro kit !

I've been a bit of an opportunist with the kit I buy - I've not had a grand plan although I now know the sort of stuff I like using.

My first one was a present from Mrs Seedy. The first one I bought for myself took about 6 months to save for - sort of. I got a bonus at work which went a long way and from there I had to accumulate the rest. There was a dependency on selling the old scope which I didn't do until I had the new one, meanwhile I had a debt on a credit card (I had an offer for 0% purchases at the time so it didn't cost me anything to put it on the credit card). So when I got the bonus I decided it was new scope time and from there to settling the credit card bill it took roughly 6 months.

Luckily the research on what I wanted took up at least a month of that!

Never considered it as saving, if I had the money then I would buy, usually did have the money.

If I didn't have the money available and spare then buying never comes into it.

Saving specifically for anything isn't something I do, tend to just not spend money so I have some around in case needed. Equally if I had £500 available than no way would I go spend £500 on anything in the astro line, I might find I had £1500 available then perhaps spend £500.

I would not consider restricting myself now for something in the future, just don't have the mind set to save for something specific.

True- if you can't afford it, then don't buy it. Astronomy stuff is a luxury really- if I had to limit myself to a pair of binoculars in favour of feeding the familly or paying the mortgages then that is what I would do. If it's non-essential then credit cards are best avoided.

Astronomy stuff is a luxury really- if I had to limit myself to a pair of binoculars in favour of feeding the familly or paying the mortgages then that is what I would do.

Didn´t quite get that one - buy the binos or feed the family???

Boring maybe but I just saved for it.

Funds are sufficient for an upgrade now but a higher authority (my wifey) won't allow me two in the house (unless suitable storage is arranged) so I have additional cost and DIY ahead of me.

Anyone would have thought a 250mm (likely) or 300mm Skyliner (hopefully) takes up a lot of room! :grin:

When I decided as to which direction I wanted to go as in observation, astrophotography or both , the way I raised cash was to sell sell sell , fleabay helped a great deal , you will be amazed how quickly you can raise funds, believe me , as soon as you go to purchase anything, if it starts Astro, there not referring to the equipment , but the price

Archived