iPhone star charts

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Redshift and StarSeek Pro from Orion. With both apps you hold the phone up to the sky it will display on the screen what it's pointing to. Or search for a particular object like M57 and you can follow the arrow pointing to the direction of it. Also, you can hit the information button and it will give details of that object like RA and DEC, distance from Earth etc. Redshift will open the object up in Wikipedia if desired for futher information to learn about it.

Hi Sully,

In my iPhone I have a number of apps that I enjoy. All were free (I'm still unsure which ones to actually buy until I know more) and easy to use.

1. Planets - allows you to see where items are in the sky by moving your phone. You can also set the time to see what will be visible at any given time and date. Then you can scroll through the sky to determine what will be available later.

2. City Time - Simply provides times for the sun and moon rising and setting as well as the phase and % illumination of the moon.

3. Moon Globe - To check what I am looking at when I observe the moon (my favourite object).

4. Distant Suns Lite - Gives constellations, planets and DSO. Clicking on an object provides further info such as Rise and Set times, RA, Constellation, Magnitude and Distance. Clicking again will provide an image of the object.

5. Sky View Free - Offers a chance to see the sky superimposed on your camera image. You are also able to search for objects in the paid version, but the free option will identify objects that you click on the screen.

As I said, these are all free so you can see what you like and if it strikes your fancy then upgrade to the pro versions.

Good Luck.

Tony

I have a good few apps for astronomy, but if I had to keep just one it would be Starmap Pro. It costs, but I find it's the best fit for me. Moon Globe is also excellent. Has anyone ever found an app which marks on the lunar 100 though? I'd like to have that to hand when I'm observing and the moon's up.

I was wondering if an iPhone (or any other phone with a rear facing camera) actually used the camera to fine-tune the display. I have a Nexus 7 tablet (no rear camera) which, although fairly accurate, doesn't seem to quite get the image lined up with the actual sky. Or maybe it's operator error!! :embarassed:

Good post. I've just got an iPhone and was looking for some good apps. Previously had an android and there was some great free apps on that. Pity the iPhone doesn't do goggle sky map. It was the best for those phones. At the moment I've got starmap lite which seems ok, stellarium, messier list which is a good way to keep track of what you've seen, moon globe which I agree is excellent and scope help... Not tried this too much ....yet.

I just downloaded Skysafari for Android phones and it is simply spectacular. Loads of info on the object you are looking at,brilliant zoom ability and it also has a "centering" function which displays an arrow for you to follow for your desired target. Loads more features.

And i only have the BASIC version which cost AU$3.

For general astronomy, the best 2 are starmap pro & skysafari pro.

Skysurvey is a gem for looking at the Milky Way.

Sun viewer is for the obvious and is awesome.

Moonphase as above.

ISS visibility needs no explanation.

Scope nights gives a fairly accurate idea of how good the night will be weather wise for observing.

I have loads more but don't use them coz I have found the 1's mentioned are the best. HTH.

I was wondering if an iPhone (or any other phone with a rear facing camera) actually used the camera to fine-tune the display. I have a Nexus 7 tablet (no rear camera) which, although fairly accurate, doesn't seem to quite get the image lined up with the actual sky. Or maybe it's operator error!! :embarassed:

I'm going to answer my own question here - just in case anyone else was wondering! Most apps appear not to use the camera but rely on the compass and accelerometer functions (and GPS if you have it). The only app I have found so far that uses the rear facing camera is SkyView from Terminal Eleven. This is an iPhone app - no sign of an Android version :sad:

I have Star Chart for the IPhone which I cannot be without especially when their is cloud (often is the case :mad: ) so that I can determine what is viewable in a clear part of the sky.

One word of warning is that as per the small print ..... "It only works on earth!" :earth:

If you set location correctly sky safari is pretty accurate. To be honest in my view its better to have rough understanding of night sky without tech assistance as best way to learn :) occasionally get some areas wrong that are zoomed in via star hopping but that's how learn for next time. When spent 20m on one area then realise its something else u do tend to remember for next time :)

What would be the general opinion of the best star app for the iPhone. Given that its a bit of a nause taking a laptop everywhere, especially for casual observing.

Thanks in advance

Sully

Hi Sully, i really like distant suns 3, i found it to be the best for me :)

Archived