Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pics from SW130 last night

Welrod50

Hello all,

Spent a couple of hours out last night with my SW 130 Newt and filled 4gb of memory cards with video and RAW images through Pentax Kx mounted onto SW 8-24mm zoom EP.

Here are the best, at the mo. C & C most welcome.

Processed RAW files with Photoshop and video with Virtual Dub and Registax. Ridiculously difficult trying to keep the moon in the FOV and also manual focussing etc, but results worth it I reckon.

Any thoughts? ;)post-22225-0-81151600-1349354107_thumb.jpost-22225-0-20894800-1349354129_thumb.j

post-22225-0-24956500-1349353766_thumb.j

Jupiter taken using video with eyepiece at 13mm, any more degraded image quality far too much. It is possible to just see some banding, although the camera couldn't pick up any moons, which were easily visible through EP.

Hope this has posted ok, as I have not attached any pics to previous posts.

Thanks for looking! :)

Scott.

If you want to get the Jovian moons in an image, you will have to combine 2 together, the first exposed for jupiter, and the second exposed for the moons. You will need roughly 4 to 8 times longer exposure for the moons as you do for Jupiter.

This is my attempt from earlier in the week, combined together in GIMP

Jupiter and Moons 1

Cheers for that. I used video to capture Jupiter and have no control over exposure for that. I did toy with trying to capture an actual photograph, but it is nowhere near as bright as the Moon, and the required shutter speeds, coupled with prodigious tripod wobble and manual controls on the EQ mount left me grinning at my own attempts and resultant failure. I cranked up the ISO, but even with the Kx, this left the image fuzzy.

I may well try again with this, as to be honest, I only dabbled with Jupiter as my main target was the Moon - trying to perfect my technique before I move on to more challenging targets you see ;)

Thanks again for the thoughts!

Scott.

Thanks for the kind feedback all. I was going to have another go again tonight, but guess what - cloud!

James, I have not done the RGB align. To be honest, I simply left it on Default and set the align points and then let it do it's thing. It took me about half an hour to cut the video in VirtualDub, bring it into Registax and then finally adjust in Photoshop. I may well have another crack at it tomorrow though and it should be a much quicker process. I have done it before earlier in the year, but have simply not had opportunity to do much AP throughout the 'summer' due to the weather and me being at work when we actually had cloudless nights.

I will try colour alignment tomorrow and if it makes a good difference, I'll post the image for comparison.

Cheers!!

Scott :)

Was using my sony a200 dslr attached to a 200p,

OK. May I ask, how did you manage to expose for such a long time? Do you have the ability to track the object?

I intend to have another go at this with longer exposures nect time the sky is clear. If I use the timer on my Kx it implements mirror lock itself so if I can get the OTA to not vibrate, I have half a shot at getting some sort of decent exposure.

Thanks for the info - please keep it coming :)

Scott.

Oh and JamesF - I have revisited the original video footage this morning of Jupiter and there is red and blue fringing evident in this. I wonder, is there any way that RGB align in Registax will address this do you know??

Cheers......

Hello all,

Spent a couple of hours out last night with my SW 130 Newt and filled 4gb of memory cards with video and RAW images through Pentax Kx mounted onto SW 8-24mm zoom EP.

Here are the best, at the mo. C & C most welcome.

Processed RAW files with Photoshop and video with Virtual Dub and Registax. Ridiculously difficult trying to keep the moon in the FOV and also manual focussing etc, but results worth it I reckon.

Any thoughts? ;)post-22225-0-81151600-1349354107_thumb.jpost-22225-0-20894800-1349354129_thumb.j

post-22225-0-24956500-1349353766_thumb.j

Jupiter taken using video with eyepiece at 13mm, any more degraded image quality far too much. It is possible to just see some banding, although the camera couldn't pick up any moons, which were easily visible through EP.

Hope this has posted ok, as I have not attached any pics to previous posts.

Thanks for looking! :)

Scott.

Nice pick Scott

Hi,

Hope you don't mind my adding this...

This is my first decent picture of anything other than the moon. It was taken this morning as the sun was rising with my SW130p on an AZ goto mount.

60 x 3 second images at ISO800 Canon 1100d and cheapo 2x barlow with T thread

5 Darks

Stacked in DSS.

I realise that the processing leaves a lot to be desired but now I have something to work with I can tinker with it on the cloudy nights.

post-19185-0-43115400-1349595069_thumb.j

That is, I have to say, a wonderful image and most unexpected from the 130. I have viewed the Orion Nebula with mine and it appears black and white (albeit I know full well why this is).

May I ask, have you used any filters to achieve this? Also, why so many exposures? Is it in order to reduce image noise when the final images are stacked?

The image is very colourful.

So far as processing goes, I actually think its fine. And I'm very jealous. Well done :)

Scott :D

Thanks for the compliments, need to do a lot more learning about processing to get rid of the halo effect.

I didnt use any filters, I have them but have never used them.

the more exposures used the better the image "should" turn out. Each exposure will be slightly different as the atmosphere changes. I have an Alt Az mount so I cant really go much over 3 seconds without getting field rotation so instead i go for lots of short exposures.

Has anyone suggested "Making Every Photon Count" from FLO yet?

Archived